Catfishing experiment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Regs allow you to use 20 jugs/person. I own 30 and run them with a friend so we are legal. Depending on the fish activity we may have to run them every hour or two then some times we bait them at dark andcheck in the morning at first light. We then rebait and check around 10:30 am

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My trotlining buddy has now harvested 96 pounds of fillets since Sunday night using garlic weiners. He is having the time of his life going out andgetting a limit of channels averaging 5 pounds each night.

WFT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey fellas, I tried jugging last night for the first time. Had a blast, but I have some questions, I used garlick weiners, and it seemed to work good (caught three in about two hours) but the bait didn't stay on the hood very good. We ran them after two hours and just about every hook was empty. I was wondering if it was my hook size? What size and type of hooks work the best? I also wondered how hard the weiners needed to be, maybe I didn't cook them enought?

wkenneth

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, these garlic hotdogs smell terrible. I'm cooking some up this morning and going out to the lake today and going to try to do a bit of fishing. Quote of the day from my wife: "What in the hell did you do to my kitchen? It stinks in here and I just cleaned it!!"

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We use 4/0 circle hooks.We nuke the weinnies for 1 minute on high then resalt/powder then nuke them again for 1 minute on high and you are done. You can put them out in the sun for a little bit to further dehydrate them. The reason the baits are gone may be turtles or small fiddlers ripping them off.If you have further questions let me know.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey fellas, I tried jugging last night for the first time. Had a blast, but I have some questions, I used garlick weiners, and it seemed to work good (caught three in about two hours) but the bait didn't stay on the hood very good. We ran them after two hours and just about every hook was empty. I was wondering if it was my hook size? What size and type of hooks work the best? I also wondered how hard the weiners needed to be, maybe I didn't cook them enought?

I've had this same issue. I tried cooking the wieners a little longer (5 minutes or so), and it seemed to toughen them up quite a bit, but the smell nearly ran me out of the house, and lingered for a couple of days. Next time I just laid them out in the sun for a few days in a plastic bag to harden. This did the trick. One word of caution, leave the bag open so it can dry out. I had one bag that was sealed and there was enough moisture in there that they just started breaking down and got downright putrid. Those that were open came out like jerky, however, I can't tell you if the fish liked them any more or any less. But they sure stayed on the hook better.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy is over 150 pounds of fillets in 1 week on my recipe. The microwaves may vary in power which is causing the firmness to vary. Nuke them and then put in the sun or garage and let them dry out. They will work fine, just play with them a little.

Latest posts

Top Bottom