Catfishing experiment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
r00s7a, do you keep your fish in the tank? We used to put our catfish in a freshwater tank and let them swim in clean water for a few days before butchering them. I don't know that it helped any, but it sounded good at the time.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back when I had well water I'd throw them in the cow trough till I was ready to butcher and never had one die, but now I am on rural water and there is so much chlorine and who knows what else in there I can't even seem to keep bait alive from water out of the tap. Don't know if that has anything to do with it or not, but that's what I tell myself. I'm looking for plans for a homemade bait tank that I can keep at the house to collect everything in, but have some questions I need answered first. That is down on the list so I haven't got too into it yet. Most of the time it is middle of the night, or early in the morning when I get done fishing and I am not in the mood to clean fish, so majority of what I catch gets released. I just do it for the enjoyment and try to gain a little knowledge to pass along.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Chlorine in the tank shouldn't take more than a couple of days to go away. At least thats how long it takes for the chlorine to get out of my pool when the dispenser runs out.

That was probably the main use for our tank too. We would fish for several days, and then have a big cleaning party.
Cleaning party usually consisted of me, and the elm tree to nail them to. Everybody likes to fish, and eat at the fish fry, but nobody likes to clean.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hell I can't even get anyone to fish with me, little lone trap bait, make and set jugs or trot line or anything else. They line up for the fish fry though! Man, sounds like you are cleaning the hard way if you're hanging them! I got introduced to the electric knife long ago and I will never go back. I've got a big 2x12 with a nail in it, slam it in their head, 2 cuts on each side and you're done, just like crappie. May waste a small nugget of meat or so, but it is well worth it IMO.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey you two- I am coming to Antlers on 7/1 and staying til 7/3. Buddies from Kansas are coming down to crappie fish. Roosta I expect you in the boat on 1 of those days. You are gonna have your mind blown on crappie fishin in the heat of the day. Then I'm gonna head north some time in July with a load of hoppers or weinnies and bring my jugs to you Mr Hoddy. I'm gettin my house in order to start doing some fishing this summer and Fall. Rifle season may include my bass boat for some fall juggin and crappie catching. Dennis wintertime is cat time too. This technique that I am getting refined over the 4 weekend will work in your neck of the woods too and while it is as hot as Hades you and I are gonna check it out. Found out where we can buy minners by the pound. we may need a couple of pounds.

keystone1974

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna try the wieners... Last night I tried chuncks of fresh catfish to try and catch more catfish on my trout line... No luck... All the bait is still their ... Walmart here I come... Thanks for the tip , and in my perch trap I only had 1 little guy /... Lots of gas and no luck

waffles

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, What suggestions can you give to a newbie fishing for cats? I want to run jugs and fish rod and reel at my local lakes(Wes Watkins and Shawnee Twin lakes) Is there a sight maybe that tells me how to set up jugs? I figure I may get a few jugs from walmart,seems like an easy way to start. I know most everyone makes their own but like I said I am new to fishing for cats.

Latest posts

Top Bottom