Catfishing experiment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A buddy of mine in Arkansas was fishing the Arkansas river near Russellville last week and he met an old couple who were trotlining. They had 120 blues and channels that week caught on..................did you guess garlic weinnies? Yes, garlic hot dogs.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last night I baited 12 jugs and my trot line with beef liver. Got quite the menagerie of takers on the lines this morning. Had one spotted gar, one drum, two big soft shelled turtles about the size of a hubcap, 2 blues, and four channel cats, three of those 4 were decent size. Now when I say decent size, I mean between 3 and 5 lbs, decent eatin size. Everyone got released. The next few days I think I am going to focus on gathering live bait for flatheads. I know there are some big uns around there and I'm tired of wasting time on blues and channels and turtles.

Anyone here ever eaten turtle? I've always heard it was quite tasty, and those two softshells were certainly eatin size, but I have never eaten it, prepared it, or really known anyone that did.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i love fishing for flatheads on rod & reel

Attachments

• 35 #3 pic.jpg
    35 #3 pic.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 150

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
on the washita river where a creek runs into river,river was up some and creek was running good also,in 4 hrs i caught a 31,35,20 and had one that was fighting harder then the ones i caught i believe it was a very big fish i ended rushing it a little and pulled the hook lose all caught on perch this took place two yrs ago,this yr hav'nt had enough rain to get river up to get some fish in my area which is around anadarko,okla,good luck on the flatheads

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like some good fishing. I used to fish a feeder creek running into the Red River and as you described, when the water would rise you could catch some good fish on live bait. I can't catch good cats all the time like some of the experienced catmen, but in those certain situations could load up and look like I knew what I was doing. Here is one such trip, this was about two hours worth of fishing.
[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom