Catfishing experiment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went up to the river below Tenkiller Dam last weekend hoping to fish for trout, but the river was flowing way too fast. So I decided to try and catch catfish off the bottom. All I had for bait was some Brown Sugar Ham. Threw in a line and had a blue cat in just a couple of minutes. Ended up catching 11 blues in about an hour (ran out of ham). Most were 1 - 2 lbs, but one was about 7 lbs. Lots of fun, I was surprised they would bite ham.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 blues and one channel on the jugs this morning, all under a couple of pounds. A little bit disappointing. Either going to give the wienies another shot tonight, or if I have enough live bait, go live. Sorry didn't get back to you this morn Deer Slayer, been out looking at land all day out of service. Bailey's does not carry minerals, and I have not made it down to the Co-Op, so I haven't put out any minerals as of late.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Baited jugs last night, but this time I used chicken livers and live bait. Before I had even left, I saw two jugs with fish on them. Had already drug the boat out of the water, so I said piss on it, hopefully they will be there in the morning. I also ran a trotline that had bout a dozen hooks on it and had some decent perch, crawdads, and some big shiners, just enough to bait the trotline. Trotline was in about 4 or 5 FOW on the edge of the 15' hole I had jugs set. Came back this morning and went to the trotline first thing. Had two blue, 1 channel, and 1 decent bass. There was a stupid blue on there about the size of my forearm that ate one of my big perch, or I say he ate it, he was on the hook that previously had the big perch on it. I suspect something else got the perch and hit bit the bare hook, I really don't think his mouth was big enough to eat that perch. Anyway, went to run jugs and had a total of 4 more blues and 2 channels. One blue may have gone 4 lbs on a good day, but the rest were nice eater size. All fish were released.

So not sure if it was due to bait or something else, but I caught more fish with chicken livers than garlic wienies. I don't count that as very scientific, unless I can repeat it with the same results. Tonight's menu will consist of a fresh black angus beef liver. If I had me a good partner to help me seine bait, I'd feel a lot better about my chances at a big ol flathead, but unfortunately my runnin buddy doesn't like to fish, hates the smell of fish, and will not touch a fish. Wuss... I've never tried a cast net in a pond, but I may give it a whirl just to see what happens. Only other option would be to break out the telephone call up some bait, heh.

Oh yeah, side note. The two jugs I saw that had fish on them before I left, were both empty when I returned. So that tells me that leaving jugs from 9pm-6am is too long and I am losing fish. I pretty much already knew that, but I ain't gettin up at 1 or 2 am, getting on the river alone, and running jugs. Piss on that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its hard to say from one night to the next what the majic bait is going to be. Different barometric pressures, moon phases, etc all contibute to how the fish will bite.
When I ran trot lines a lot we ran them at 2 hr intervals. If the bite was on, its long enough.
Left longer, we would find drops all tangled up, indicating fish had twisted off.

I love when kaw floods in the spring. The water gets up into the trees, and I'll take the canoe out there, putting drop lines from the tree limbs with goldfish on them.

Come back in a few hours and reap the rewards.:D
I go to a cove that is pretty much protected from the wind and I can do it all myself.
Like you, none of my buddys want to catfish......they are all into the bass thing. Thats OK.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis- I hope you get your motor running so you can let the kiddo have his boat ride. I have no signal up here in NE. I'll try you on Sunday when I start back. It is in the low 60's up here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom