Catfishing experiment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are there many good spots in the metro area to fish for cats? Me and a buddy are wanting to pick up cat fishing, we just don't know where to start?

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Roosta 7 - Is the line still out or did you pull it???? I wondered what happened to you when you did not call back. I take it you did not use the catawbas. I was planning on coming down on the 10th but may have to go to Nebraska on a project and be gone all weekend.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maxim- I would suggest Hefner dam and use slipcorks with stink bait right now. Fish in 8 fow. Set your bobber stop at 8' and try that depth for starters. Arcadia Lake is another good catfish lake for blues.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When using bullheads for bait, do you cut off the barbs?

Most of the time, no... If I just happen to have my sidecutters on me or something I will go ahead and clip them off, but for the most part I leave them au natural. I understand the theory behind it, but as an avid noodler, if you've ever had a big fish latch onto your arm, you know the power behind those jaws. One little thump and that little bullhead is probably toast, and at that point, the fish can turn it around where he can swallow it, or whatever. But IMO, doesn't make that much difference. Every other bullhead he has eaten had the barbs on it, so why change?

And no, I forgot my catulpa worms in the freezer deer_slayer!!! After all that talk about them, and they just slipped my mind. I did however, remember the cold beer. That helped more than the worms.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Roosta - I am long over due for a trip to the farm and kickinback with a cold brew and a grilled steak. BTW we picked up a new ranch for 10 kids for this Fall's hunt. Your probably gonna be pressed into service as a huntmaster. Get ready.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Roosta - I am long over due for a trip to the farm and kickinback with a cold brew and a grilled steak. BTW we picked up a new ranch for 10 kids for this Fall's hunt. Your probably gonna be pressed into service as a huntmaster. Get ready.

Is this a hunt, that you look for knowledgeable adults to help with the hunts?

Bullbuster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bowhunter - To prepare the garlic weiners just get the cheapest weiners you can find, generally 88 cent/pack, and cut them into approx 1" pieces. Next dust them liberally with garlic salt or powder and microwave for 1 minute on high. Pull them out and let cool a little while you redust them. Nuke them again for 1 minute and remove. That's it. They should now be tough enough to stay on the hook. We use 4/0 circle hooks tied to 50# test leaders with a crosslock swivels. We use palomar knots on everything.

Johnson grass is apparently high protein and cattle sure like it. Soybeans may be another winner for growing big hoppers. Just go out at night with an empty pop bottle to stuff them in and start picking. I would suggest a red headlamp filter too. You should not have a problem in western Oklahoma finding big hoppers. The hoppers that were used in this project were frozen from last year.

The young fella that told me about the weiners swears by them and finally I gave in and said I would give them a fair shot. I am glad I did. I think I owe him a burger for this tip. Save yourself some time and energy and try the weiners or hoppers.

I had to try this out this past weekend. I took the family down to the Wiahita NWR camping. We fished a couple lakes and also in Medicne Park Creek. My two boys both caught there biggest fish ever with the dogs. My 4 year old got about a 3-4 pound cat and my 7 year old got about a 10-12 pound carp. We also caught blue gill, sunfish and a small mouth bass with them. I'm convinced they work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom