Caught My First Fish!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On my fly rod today. That pond where vdub and I slaughtered the bass a couple weeks ago I went out with my fly rod and a 1/100 oz micro jig and just tore them up. I wasn't exactly sure what I should do, but I found getting my line way out with false casts then doing roll casts to bring it in slowly and then get it back out worked great!! I caught about two dozen of these blue gill in under an hour. That bass was the only one I managed to get out of there, but I was having way too much fun hauling in all those blue gill!!

ai306.photobucket.com_albums_nn269_dustingaunder_Fishing_718fa587.jpg

ai306.photobucket.com_albums_nn269_dustingaunder_Fishing_fcd21453.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet! Amazing how hard they can fight on a fly rig. thats getting close to a eating size:D
Seems great minds work together. I went fly fishing myself today to catch some bluegill from Lake Ponca to use as bait. Kaw is flooded and I like to canoe among the flooded trees and put out drop lines with perch for flatheads.
Our local GW checked me. He is a buddy of our forum GW Jered. told him he needs to get on here, but he just laughed.
I wasn't doing good on the bluegill only catching two as the water was muddy, but went to another area and the spotted bass were tearing up the weed banks. this was my first time to throw a popper. I don't know what weight it was. Caught a few and had to go home.
How about these nice temps in July??

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd probably strangle myself if I tried fly fishing, but some guys are just plain fanatical about it. I'm a baitcasting powerfishin' guy who likes to beat the bank. Heck, it's a rare thing to even see a spinning rod in my hand, but I do own one.

Maybe someday I'll give the fly fishing thing a try.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you use black? I've had really good luck with black in ponds. I use white on trout mainly. Glad you caught some fish. I do a lot of false casting to get my line out most of the time but there are other ways. Keep your wrist locked, backcast no more than 1 o'clock and then your forward cast is like pounding with a hammer. Bluegills are fun. Keep after them to help improve your technique.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was black and yellow. I figured I'd choose a dark one since it was no longer cloud cover. It worked! I also noticed that a lot of them would hit it as soon as it was falling in the water before I started pulling the rod back for the next roll cast. Others would follow it to the shore and hit it about 10' out. those ones were harder to set the hook. I just gave it a little pop like I was trying to get the fly onto the bank and it set just fine. Once it set they'd swim like mad and take all the slack back out of my line. They don't want to be reeled in. They run like crazy.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless it is a big fish I don't use my reel. I pull them in with my left hand. The line runs under my right index finger as I pull the line in, just pinch the line with your right index finger when you go to make another pull of the line, thats if your right handed.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Blue gill on a fly rod are a ton of fun. Wait until to you get into a bunch of big trout in a swift moving stream...now they can put up a fight!

Latest posts

Top Bottom