CCL Application asks for ALL prior convictions even as a minor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubaokie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I went to fill out the CCL application and It wants everything you were ever charged with even as a minor. It is followed with what amounts to a threat that if you fail to disclose anything your app will be denied and you may be charged with a crime. To me if something that would not preclude you from obtaining a CCL under state statute happened when you were a minor and juvenile records are sealed why would I essentially create an official record of those offenses now when they are not relevant and are expunged?

I can't find anything in the statutes that would require me to list out that I got pulled over for driving in the 7th grade...Instead of listing out trivial stuff that is unrelated could I not just state that "There are no prior misdemeanor or felony convictions that would lead them to deny my CC application".

OSS paragraph 5 of Section 1290.12
Any person making any false or misleading
statement on an application for a handgun license shall, upon
conviction, be guilty of perjury as defined by Section 491 of this
title. Any conviction shall be punished as provided in Section 500
of this title. In addition to a criminal conviction, the person shall
be denied the right to have a concealed handgun license pursuant
to the provisions of Section 1290.10 of this title and the Oklahoma
State Bureau of Investigation shall revoke the handgun license, if
issued;

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
List everything.

Juvenile Records are not considered sealed records anymore.

List everything.

Even if you have not been convicted, or had the charge expunged, most of the time there will still be a record of an arrest.

List everything.

You are not creating a record of past offenses, trust me, even if it was expunged, there is still some type of record of it, if nothing else, there is a file number assigned to your name.

List everything. (Did I mention that already?):anyone:

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's the point of getting anything expunged?

because some people have minor or misdemeanor convictions that will preclude you from a ccl, but if they get expunged then you are now eligble for it. example: marijuana possession. Automatic preclusion, expunged: automatic inclusion.

on that same note. If you get an expungement, then it no longer shows up on public records like oscn. It is as if it doesn't exist. It cannot be used against you.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what he said...

+2... Your talking about the SDA. When they wrote the ACT they put in what they wanted to ask, to get the info they wanted. Now ,you have two choices ..answer the questions (as theyre asked) or pay 135 dollar background check( 100 for fee 25 to Sheriffs office 10 photos).
Maybe three , call the OSBI Attorney and see if she can help answer your questions. My Re-application was sent today ,after asking the OSBI attorney lots of Questions.
Basically if they find something not listed its an auto denial.
Oh and my denial was just not paying attention on my part=$135 background check.:oops3:Good Luck

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
List it ALL!!!

there is still a record somewhere... OSBI has access to ALL of it.

including expunged records ... they will understand and overlook what you did as a dumb teenager, but may not overlook you not listing it.

do you want to take a chance?

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A buddy of mine got his denied when he forgot that he had an arrest from 1982 or 1983 when he was in California. He had a pretty good list anyway for petty crimes and stuff, but the one he left off is the reason they denied and he learned a $130 lesson as well.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll throw in my two cents based on 22 years as a Supervisory Special Agent who dealt with this type thing continuously over those years. It has as much to do with the integrity and honesty of the applicant as it does with the juvenile incident in question. It makes no difference if it was sealed, expunged or whatever - there will be someone who knows about it. If found out, it automatically raises the flag of dishonesty, and creates the question of what else is he hiding? If they say list everything...then LIST EVERYTHING. Most juvenile events will not prohibit you from a CCL. But, remember, every action has a consequence and the consequence of some very serious actions may be that you should be denied.

Latest posts

Top Bottom