CCL Application asks for ALL prior convictions even as a minor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it depends if you were "arrested, charged, or convicted of any crime felony or misdemeanor..."

I got busted for something when I was 13ish, was never arrested(not read rights, just held for folks to get me), never charged(it was deferred pending completing conditions), and never convicted so I put down that i have no criminal record at all and I have mine, it just depends on how your ordeal went down if you were a minor...

but if you meet any of the three conditions(arrested, charged, or convicted) then yes, put it down

but also like said before, putting it down will probably not cause you to recieve a denial anyways so i would put it down. the only reason I didnt is because i got advice from an attourney about whether it was necessary so its a little different...

scubaokie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies...I guess if I don't want to waste my money I had better start start digging and see if I can come up with some dates and outcomes even if they will not preclude me from obtaining a license.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought you should only list it if you got arrested for it...

I've been ticketed more than I care to remember and I didn't list any of that. Mine went through. As always, YMMV.

I seriously doubt most people put minor traffic violations on their application.

jeremycknight

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My friend was arrested about 6 or 7 yrs ago but wasn't fingerprinted (I think he was too drunk he said) they spelled his middle name wrong and his ssn was wrong and no place of birth on all the arrest records and court records. will it show up. His was worried about a job when they ran a background check nothing came up. Would it come up on the FBI ?

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not contact OSBI and have your record sent to you? According to my instructors (Ratcliffe and Wilson) that _should_ have everything that OSBI will pull up.

I'm lucky. I never got arrested or a traffic ticket or a written warning.... just a bunch of verbal warnings. If you were around me in Jr. High and High School, you'd understand what I mean by "lucky."

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not contact OSBI and have your record sent to you? According to my instructors (Ratcliffe and Wilson) that _should_ have everything that OSBI will pull up.

I'm lucky. I never got arrested or a traffic ticket or a written warning.... just a bunch of verbal warnings. If you were around me in Jr. High and High School, you'd understand what I mean by "lucky."

It'll have everything in state. It will not have have any out of state arrests that the FBI check will find. My prints are in AFIS from California circa 1989 even though there is no arrest record in the San Bernardino county court system.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll throw in my two cents based on 22 years as a Supervisory Special Agent who dealt with this type thing continuously over those years. It has as much to do with the integrity and honesty of the applicant as it does with the juvenile incident in question. It makes no difference if it was sealed, expunged or whatever - there will be someone who knows about it. If found out, it automatically raises the flag of dishonesty, and creates the question of what else is he hiding? If they say list everything...then LIST EVERYTHING. Most juvenile events will not prohibit you from a CCL. But, remember, every action has a consequence and the consequence of some very serious actions may be that you should be denied.
(emphasis mine)

That's a really good point.

Back when I was a project manager for a DoD contractor, we obviously had to deal with a lot of security clearances.

I've had to let some employees go periodically, because they failed to list things on their clearance application and therefore could not get a clearance. The things found in the individuals' past would not have stopped them from getting a clearance, but since they didn't list it...automatic denial (technically it was perjury).

Be honest on the app.

Besides...people know that we all do stupid things when we're young. What we did in our past may not be considered cause for denial depending upon the rest of a person's history.

Latest posts

Top Bottom