CCL range qualification with a 22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I took my class, there was an old lady taking her course and she couldn't pull the trigger or the hammer back on her .38 special, so the instructor went and got her a .22 to qualify with. That left a comforting feeling with everyone in our class knowing she was 50 rounds away from carrying a gun she couldn't even fire.

Given the way our permits are set up (semi, revolver, derringer), any instructor worth his salt should strongly suggest the students use a semi.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Given the way our permits are set up (semi, revolver, derringer), any instructor worth his salt should strongly suggest the students use a semi.

No offense, but if this lady couldn't pull the hammer back on a revolver, there's no way she could rack the slide on a semi. Hopefully, after getting her permit, she practiced with her firearm. It is possible to lighten the springs an a handgun so that it takes very little strength to cock it.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I always suggest people take it with a semiautomatic. If a person absolutely insists on taking the class with something else I would let them. I haven't had that happen yet.

In general, my students have been very safe. That being said, there have been some that couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle. While I was in Salt Lake, I was talking with a friend about CCLs and he told me that in Utah, there wasn't a shooting requirement to get a CCL. Just classroom instruction.

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Iowa was the same way when I got my CCL there in '94. The only people required to do range time were those applying for a professional carry license. I don't know if that has changed since then.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My Mark II has been loaned out countless times for CCL classes........I think others have shot it more than I have :)

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I took mine, 9 in the class and the instructor would not certify 2 of those. He did certify an elderly gentleman with an extremely nice 4" S&W .32. He would hold the cylinder 2" from his eyes to load. He had 50 rounds on target, 38 were actually on HIS target. My son was 2 targets over and had 4 .32 holes in his target.
5 people were shooting .22LR.

I had my wife and daughter qualify with .22 when they took their class.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I took mine, 9 in the class and the instructor would not certify 2 of those. He did certify an elderly gentleman with an extremely nice 4" S&W .32. He would hold the cylinder 2" from his eyes to load. He had 50 rounds on target, 38 were actually on HIS target. My son was 2 targets over and had 4 .32 holes in his target.
5 people were shooting .22LR.

I had my wife and daughter qualify with .22 when they took their class.

Dang flyers, huh...LOL

22 are a cheap, easy way to "qualify" with 50 rounds...besides , theres a good chance you might get a malfunction drill out of it... 8)

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I failed a older guy in one of my classes a few years ago. I believe the man was legally blind. He would try to insert a fresh mag in his pistol without removing the spent one. He had to hold the pistol out at full arms length to be able to see if a mag was in the gun. When he came to my house the day of the class a lady had to lead him there in another car and get out and tell him which house was mine. He couldn't read the six inch house numbers from the street 50' away. He got someone to give him a certificate and applied I found out later. His own family members would hide his gun from him so he couldn't carry it. It was a sad. I contacted the OSBI about the guy and they thanked me for failing him.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I failed a older guy in one of my classes a few years ago. I believe the man was legally blind. He would try to insert a fresh mag in his pistol without removing the spent one. He had to hold the pistol out at full arms length to be able to see if a mag was in the gun. When he came to my house the day of the class a lady had to lead him there in another car and get out and tell him which house was mine. He couldn't read the six inch house numbers from the street 50' away. He got someone to give him a certificate and applied I found out later. His own family members would hide his gun from him so he couldn't carry it. It was a sad. I contacted the OSBI about the guy and they thanked me for failing him.

:saywhat: Man, does that bring back some memories ... The one that sticks out in my mind was a really elderly gentleman who, when I asked him to be a bit more muzzle aware, said to me "Young lady, I've forgotten more about guns than YOU will ever know." Very next round of fire he took his 6-shot revolver, turned it DIRECTLY toward the woman standing in the lane to the left of him AND PULLED THE TRIGGER. If he'd loaded 6 shots into that revolver instead of the 5 required for the round of fire, he'd have shot her. :shocked:

I told him he was done for the day, that he needed to gather up his gear and leave. He looked right at the lead instructor, then turned to me and said "You can't fail me, you *****." Lead instructor put down his microphone, walked over to where we were and said "Yes, she can." Then picked up the old man's gear, handed it to me and said "I believe you know what to do with this." :rotflmao: That old fart is STILL looking for the teeth that fell out of his mouth that day ... :naughty:

There were some funny ones too ... Like the group of 30 something guys who obviously knew what they were doing. They said something about how much running up and down I was having to do on the firing line. I just snickered and said "Watch what's out here with you." By the time we were done qualifying that group of folks they told me there was no amount of money anyone could pay them to teach SDA classes ... :rotflmao: I just laughed and told them "Now you can explain to my husband why I drink." :P

Latest posts

Top Bottom