Challenge Accepted. We need common sense and compromise on gun violence.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You cannot say that "nothing happens" if they rule against machineguns. Depending on the ruling it could spell confiscation for those who legally own them now or at the very least it puts NFA items on congresses radar and they could decide to raise the transfer tax (set at $200 back in 1934) to a modern equivalent (would be over $3000 today). We all know that Obama loves raising taxes and there would probably be zero oppossion to this from congress. Maybe you do not own any NFA weapons, so you might not care what happens to other NFA owners, but I do.

there's nothing stopping them from doing that right now anyway. Basically what your saying is "ssshhhhh...don't stir the pot and hope no one notices"

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why shouldn't the tax have kept up with inflation? Where does the money from these "transfer taxes" go? Why do you own machineguns? Do you own any "real" assault rifles? Why do you get to own them? Does your work require these weapons? Sorry for all the questions, I've never met anyone who owned real machineguns.

There shouldn't be a tax in the first place. It was put in place at the time (1934) to keep the average Joe from being able to afford one.

There are at least a dozen folks who post on this site who own MG's. Some own over a quarter of a million dollars worth of them. You ask why they own them, I ask you why not. Crime with legally owned machineguns is for all parctical purposes non-existant, so why restrict them.

If my work "required" one, they would provide it for me.

You have probably met a lot of folks who own MG's, you just didn't know it. You could go to the Oklahoma Full Auto Shoot and Trade show coming up this summer if you want to see some. Here is a link: http://www.oklahomafullauto.com/

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so a tax on a legal constitutionally protected item is ok?

Beat me to it. I took the poll tax reference to mean why should we pay a punitive fee to exercise a right as a citizen.

"Why do you own machineguns? Do you own any "real" assault rifles? Why do you get to own them? Does your work require these weapons?"

Why? Why not?

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
there's nothing stopping them from doing that right now anyway. Basically what your saying is "ssshhhhh...don't stir the pot and hope no one notices"

That is EXACTLY what I am saying. Why push something to the SCOTUS that you have NO CHANCE of winning, but can cause you to lose what you already have. Seems pretty dumb to me.

TimB

Marksman
Reaction score
. Crime with legally owned machineguns is for all parctical purposes non-existant, so why restrict them.

Crime with nuclear weapons is almost non-existent, so why restrict them?

If my work "required" one, they would provide it for me.

You must be Union. I have to own all my own tools.

Which brings up another point: A machinegun is a tool, so what is its purpose? Its purpose is to kill, and do so effectively. Why own a tool you can't put to proper use? You can't legally hunt with one. So its only purpose as a tool is to kill other PEOPLE.

Why do people spend so much money to own tools they can't even use?

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Crime with nuclear weapons is almost non-existent, so why restrict them?

You must be Union. I have to own all my own tools.

Which brings up another point: A machinegun is a tool, so what is its purpose? Its purpose is to kill, and do so effectively. Why own a tool you can't put to proper use? You can't legally hunt with one. So its only purpose as a tool is to kill other PEOPLE.

Why do people spend so much money to own tools they can't even use?

Alrighty then. I thought you wanted to have a rational discussion and now you are leaping to idiotic comments about nuclear weapons and unions. I learned long ago not to debate stupid people on the internet. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. Have fun in your little world, good luck to you, and may God bless you.

I am out of this thread.

:Heya:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Because you are not paying to vote. You are paying a tax to own a luxury (based on the prices in that link) item...not to vote. That was really easy.

You fail miserably at the internet and your troll'ness is showing.

Harper v. Virginia Board of Elections, overturned a previous SCOTUS ruling that upheld the poll tax and it used the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment to get there. Multiple federal court rulings later deemed poll taxes at the state level as unconstitutional. Bottom line is that have to pay for a constitutional right is considered unconstitutional.

Latest posts

Top Bottom