Check this out (Woodland Hills Mall carry incident)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffin

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is a shame that you were treated in such a manner, it seems from your recount that for whatever reason the officers felt threatened and wanted to make it crystal clear they were in charge, I wouldn't go so far as call it bullying but it sounds extremely discourteous if not downright threatening. On the other hand they may have truly believed they were doing the right thing and were justly upholding the law, too often we like to think that any unreasonable encounter with LE is because the officers are deliberately trying to agitate or suppress us, although that may be the case on occasion, I suspect that is not the norm, we should try to keep that in mind. It would be highly beneficial for the community and the officers if you were to contact the department to explain your grievance, and hopefully have this corrected so that it will not occur in the future. "Ignorantia legis neminem excusat" (ignorance of the law excuses no one) applies on both sides of the law, enforcing something illegal is equal to breaking the law, no one should better uphold the law than those charged to enforce it.

Thank you for sharing your experience and for serving the community by notifying the authorities about the incident.

Chris Griffin

OldCurlyWolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Under SDA, yes. But under trespass, no. Does a farmer have to ask you to leave if your hunting or fishing without permission? no, he just calls the cops or the game warden.
I think it just depends under which law they want to use to prosecute with.

The two trespass laws are not applied on all properties. A mall while private property is also public in that the public normally has access to it without having to have explicit permission. Permission is implied, ergo, they have to ask/tell you to leave first and you have to refuse before you can LEGALLY be arrested and be charged with trespass.

dx3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, so as usual I am confused by the end of a thread concerning legally carrying. So please only answer this question if you 100% know your answer to be correct:

If I drive to Woodland Hills Mall, remove my gun from its holster and leave it in my car - is this 100% legal and can I be fined/charged? My inclination is no, but I just want to be 100% sure.

Thanks,
Jonny

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't cite it right now, but yes, dx3, it is legal, and no, you wouldn't be fined. This is in the "Parking Lot" provisions of the SDA, which is linked at this site somewhere. There are now VERY FEW (I think schools only, possibly prisons) places where a CCW can't be secured in a vehicle in a parking lot. Not that it's a great idea unless you have to.

Maverick7340

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, so as usual I am confused by the end of a thread concerning legally carrying. So please only answer this question if you 100% know your answer to be correct:

If I drive to Woodland Hills Mall, remove my gun from its holster and leave it in my car - is this 100% legal and can I be fined/charged? My inclination is no, but I just want to be 100% sure.

Thanks,
Jonny

Why leave it in your car? It's legal to take it in the mall with you if you have your CCW permit. A no guns sign means nothing at a mall. Concealed means concealed.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Speaking of interpretations and mall signs, here's one for you. Oakwood mall in Enid has no gunbuster signs on the store entrances or the main mall entrances. It does however have a rather large sign posted at each entrance on the wall to the left as you walk in. The sign states rules for the mall and one rules states that "No dangerous weapons are allowed". My pocket knife is not dangerous when it's in my pocket as well as my CC .45 and .32 when I'm carrying. In the hands of a punk with intent, all of these are dangerous weapons. Vague at best in court I would think.

Latest posts

Top Bottom