Checking in a handgun for flying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhawknokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am going to visit the family in Washington (state) in August and I am wanting to take my ccw. Washington reciprocates ccl so all is good there.

I am looking more for experiences and procedures more than answers to questions on this post. From what I've read, it seems like you brinng your gun in a hard case, keep your ammo in another lockable case (not sure on that one seems confusing like you might be able to keep it in the same case), lock it up with a TSA approved lock, declare the handgun at the baggage check in, fill out a piece of paper and you're good to go.

Am I missing anything here? Is there anybody here who does this fairly regularly (or ever at all) who could give insight? Thanks

Furious_George

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've done it a few times. When I'm at home, I always remove the magazine, lock the slide to the rear, and remove all ammo from the magazines just to make sure nobody feels uneasy. When you're loading everything into your gun case, you can have the firearm, magazines, and ammo in the same case. You can toss the gun case, locked, into your luggage. I just use masterlocks. When you arrive at the counter, just make sure you declare your weapon. You'll get a tag to put in the case and some places will inspect your firearm in front of you. You keep all sets of keys so nobody can open it up easily. It's pretty painless, and I've never had a problem with it. Hope this helps.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pistol goes in a lockable hard-sided pistol case. Ammunition should be in sturdy "factory" containers (max of 11 pounds). Magazines unloaded. All of this can be in the same suitcase. I have small padlocks for both the suitcase and pistol case. I choose NOT to use "TSA-approved" locks. If they have been in the suitcase for any reason (maybe stealing things), I want it to be obvious when I retrieve the luggage. If my luggage was tampered with, I'm ready to raise a big fuss at security if anything is missing or damaged (not counting the locks; they're disposable and I pack an extra set for the return trip, just in case).

The last time I flew was a couple of months ago from OKC. I announced the pistol to the agent where you check luggage then filled out a small form that went into the pistol case. She saw me lock everything up then requested I stay close for 10-15 minutes in case TSA wanted to open the bag. They didn't, but I have had them want to open the bag before when I was in California (LAX).

EDIT: the other thing I do is keep (in my carry-on bag) a detailed inventory of the checked suitcase(s) in case anything firearm/weapon related goes missing. I've never had anything lost, but it is good info to have available.

Last edited:

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lock it up with a TSA approved lock, s

Technically speaking, this would not be legal as the law says only the person checking the firearm can have the key. If it's a TSA lock, someone else has a key.

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 49, Volume 8]
[Revised as of October 1, 2003]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 49CFR1540.111]
[Page 295]
TITLE 49--TRANSPORTATION
CHAPTER XII--TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
PART 1540--CIVIL AVIATION SECURITY: GENERAL RULES--Table of Contents

Subpart B--Responsibilities of Passengers and Other Individuals and Persons

Sec. 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.
© In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for
transport in checked baggage:
(1) Any loaded firearm(s).
(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless--
(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally
or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a
firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;
(ii) The firearm is unloaded;
(iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and
(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the
passenger retains the key or combination

(3) Any unauthorized explosive or incendiary.
(d) Ammunition. This section does not prohibit the carriage of
ammunition in checked baggage or in the same container as a firearm.
Title 49 CFR part 175 provides additional requirements governing
carriage of ammunition on aircraft.

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 49, Volume 8]
[Revised as of October 1, 2003]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 49CFR1544.203]
[Page 320-321]
TITLE 49--TRANSPORTATION
CHAPTER XII--TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
PART 1544--AIRCRAFT OPERATOR SECURITY: AIR CARRIERS AND COMMERCIAL OPERATORS
--Table of Contents

Subpart C--Operations

Sec. 1544.203 Acceptance and screening of checked baggage.
(f) Firearms in checked baggage. No aircraft operator may knowingly
permit any person to transport in checked baggage:
(1) Any loaded firearm(s).
(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless--
(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally
or in writing before checking the baggage that any firearm carried in
the baggage is unloaded;
(ii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container;
(iii) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the
individual checking the baggage retains the key or combination
; and

[[Page 321]]

(iv) The checked baggage containing the firearm is carried in an
area that is inaccessible to passengers, and is not carried in the
flightcrew compartment,.
(3) Any unauthorized explosive or incendiary.
(g) Ammunition. This section does not prohibit the carriage of
ammunition in checked baggage or in the same container as a firearm.
Title 49 CFR part 175 provides additional requirements governing
carriage of ammunition on aircraft.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Technically speaking, this would not be legal as the law says only the person checking the firearm can have the key. If it's a TSA lock, someone else has a key.

You are expecting the Gov't to follow the law?? (Sorry could not resist that jab at the TSA)

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are expecting the Gov't to follow the law?? (Sorry could not resist that jab at the TSA)

Yep, go figure!

I have flown with firearms many times, I have also NEVER used TSA locks on my gun cases, and won't. I did have to explain the law to a couple different airline personnel, ended up speaking with a supervisor on one occasion, but always got things sorted out. When flying with firearms, I always print off the rules from the airline's website and from the TSA website and carry them with me just in case I run into a problem.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do not use a "TSA Approved" lock on your gun case. Ammo must be in factory type containers. Ammo may be in magazines, so long as the top round is protected by a mag pouch or storage cap. It may not be loaded in the gun itself. I prefer to transport mine in ammo boxes, as not all agents will know all the rules..

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've now flown several times checking a gun. What I've figured out is that there are subtle differences to the way they have you do it according to who is checking in your bags. Some places will ask you to open the gun and show you that it's unloaded. Others will take your word for it, but I'm guessing it better be.

Denver had a disturbingly unsecure way of "verifying" it by having a Skycap walk the bag through the unsecure are area to be checked by a TSA agent, then walk it back through the unsecure area to put it on a luggage conveyor belt. In New Orleans I had to actually open the case and show the agent that it was unloaded. It seemed really strange "brandishing" a weapon in public, especially an airport.

One thing to watch: DO NOT let the airline agent send your bag down the conveyor belt without the "unloaded" declaration form in the bag. They've tried to do this twice now with me. I'm afraid it could have been a big legal mess for me if the gun had been found in the TSA screening process before going on the plane.

Bryan

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
American airlines will not allow you to transport ammo in magazines. If you are flying them make sure you know your airlines specific regulations.

Tulsa to NOLA, the counter agent had me open the case show her the weapons and ammo and place the affidavit in the firearms case.
NOLA to Tulsa agent looked at the case asked if it was locked and had me place the affidavit in the suitcase with the firearms case.

Tulsa to Nashville agent had me place affidavit in bag with locked metal case, did not want it opened for inspection.
Nashville to Tulsa had to open case and place affidavit in the case with the pistols.

Different agents different procedures just be sure you know your airlines policy, I use a browning pistol case with combo lock latch it holds 2 full size or a full size and a bug, or 3 pocket guns (2 in the same caliber) with ammo in original boxes and my knife. Make sure your case meets TSA standards, if it uses padlocks they need to keep the case fully closed if the latches are popped. If you can pry an edge up it's no good.

Hang out down by the ticket counter for 10 to 15 minutes after checking your bag, after that enjoy your flight, it's extremely easy.

jhawknokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I am aware that there are the "paper rules", and the real rules. I am flying SW airlines, just wanted to see peoples experiences. I am definately going to print off the TSA rules/policies and SW rules/policies. Thanks everyone

Latest posts

Top Bottom