Cherokee hunting, fishing rights compact negotiations expected

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
Negotiations are expected to start soon regarding hunting and fishing rules within the Cherokee Nation, according to Michael McNutt, a spokesman for Gov. Mary Fallin.
The state Wildlife Conservation Commission at its monthly meeting this week voted to authorize Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation Director Richard Hatcher to continue to participate in the negotiation process with the Governor’s Office.

The commission voted after retiring to executive session to discuss an agenda item on “certain potential claims of the Cherokee Nation concerning hunting and fishing licenses, including possible resolution through a partnership agreement in the nature of Tribal-State Compact.”
The Cherokee Nation has long held that treaties with the United States in the 1800s maintain its citizens’ hunting and fishing rights within its territory, which covers parts of 14 counties in northeast Oklahoma.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/state/cherokee-hunting-fishing-rights-compact-negotiations-expected/article_b2c60281-a861-51ab-94e4-f98e851c5710.html

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The article references a case where a tribe member was charged for fishing without a license on the Illinois river, but the case was dismissed. Are we exclusively taking about hunting/fishing rights on tribal land?

My question is, are any state or federal funds being used to maintain/stock/manage wildlife and fisheries on tribal land? If so, they should pony up for licenses just like the rest of us. If they want to hunt and fish outside of our system then the tribe should bear the burden of wildlife management in tribal areas. Maybe they do that already though?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Don't remember the tribe in MN, but they've recently lobbied to be able to spotlight deer on tribal land..............

A5Sooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry if this is off subject, but...

What are the potential ramifications if I (non-Cherokee/non-Indian) hunt/fish on Cherokee land?

My good buddies farm borders some...I've always stayed off of it, but just curious.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't remember what tribe it is, but going to McAlester to hunt last year, I saw a couple of pickups at station that had something Nation game enforcement on the side.
Cherokee?

Latest posts

Top Bottom