Chevy LS motors - questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 73 Ranchero had a 351 Cleveland. Changed it over to a four barrel and a next higher up cam. Never measured it but I think I was hitting around 300 horseys.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The video I put in they took a 351W and turned it into a cleavor, basically used a cleveland style head. Huge torque and HP. I think they settled on around 500ft lbs of torque at 3900 rpm and around 468 HP. They did bore it and went to 10:1 compression but that is still a huge amount of torque down low. For a street vehicle to launch off the line and pull hard the torque is the number to look for as low as possible. To put it simply, Torque lets you work but Horsepower makes the work go fast. So unless you want to turn the spedo fast and get tickets look at the torque number not the horsepower.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cost. There’s so many of those Chevy trucks out there. I could get a wrecked one and pull everything needed. Strip the f150 and move it all over.

Why not just buy a Chevy truck? I just like the old f150 feel. Regular cab, bench seat, manual windows, super simple. Nostalgia thing probably. There’s tons of room in the engine bay. Could probably find ways to get it down to 3300lbs.

This guy put together his price list.
https://blog.1aauto.com/ls-swap-cost/
https://blog.1aauto.com/ls-swap-cost/

What do you think about guys putting these motors in mustangs?

Yea. price is hard to ignore. Still... The thought of a Chevy on a FORD just seems odd to me. I have a 55 F100 that needs an engine. Original 223 took a dump in the late 90's. and it has sat ever since. Had a 351W I was supposed to slam into her but it sat so long it ended up in a buddy's wagon replacing a real tired Y block. The dream now is to get a Coyote Pullout from a low mileage mustang but maybe I need to look at an LS also

I understand the love for the early 90's for trucks and you don't see them in good shape too often anymore. There is a 91 at the shop that I'm greeting ready to have crushed. Love it but needs too much and it has been rode pretty hard and sat too long

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The video I put in they took a 351W and turned it into a cleavor, basically used a cleveland style head. Huge torque and HP. I think they settled on around 500ft lbs of torque at 3900 rpm and around 468 HP. They did bore it and went to 10:1 compression but that is still a huge amount of torque down low. For a street vehicle to launch off the line and pull hard the torque is the number to look for as low as possible. To put it simply, Torque lets you work but Horsepower makes the work go fast. So unless you want to turn the spedo fast and get tickets look at the torque number not the horsepower.

I researched the cost of building a motor like that and it seems it would run about 4k or more. Would be cooler in a Ford though. If a person used everything from a stock truck it seems the only issue is mounting. Lots of info on it out there. No tuning issues.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had the 351 clevelands and windsors and I will say the windsors needed some compression and the heads did not move air well at all.
Even installed 351W heads onto a 305.. it was a putz because of the loss of compression.
I have also had the 351M and 400M engines..The 400 in hands down much more powerful out of the hole.
I have had the 460 also and it was thirsty but ridiculous out of the hole.
I settled on 455 Oldsmobiles in the trucks for best MPG and TQ. Usually pull 15 MPG and more TQ than you need for sure.

If it is just a work truck I say 383 stroker old school chevy.
Good MPG and 100,000 miles easy and plenty of fun factor.
If it is a Trailer puller go more cubes.
400+ cubes for heavy pulling loads.

A Bayliner Capri is not a heavy load.
A trailer full of shingles stacked 4 feet high and 16 feet long is a heavy load.
I reach for 450+ cubes if you do that daily.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't ford also make a 400 small block on that design?

Really taxing the ol' memory banks here...
:drunk2:
Yes it was a 351M bored out.

I had a 400 ready to build (block bored, decked, line honed, crank turned and cross drilled) but moved to Commiefornia before I got it built so I let it go with the F150 4X4 it was going into. Also had 351C 4V heads to put on it. Everybody was all like "IT WON'T HAVE ANY TORQUE!". LOL

I was building it to run on propane and was going to have between around 12.5:1 compression. That and 50+ more cubes was going to put the port velocity right up where it should have been. Wish I would have been able to see that one through. It woulda been a beast.

Latest posts

Top Bottom