Chiggers!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tues morning I set on a fence line with very little brush while dove hunting. After our set we drove around my buddies land in his ranger checking things out. Well apparently at some time during the day a chigger and about 3,000 of his friends decided to jump on me and chew away. I don't think I've ever had this many chigger bites on me and man do they itch. I know I should have sprayed some DEET on me, but that would have made to much sense.

Anyone else had a run in with chiggers lately?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy of mine was totally covered the other day with chigger bites. He went to the ER because he couldn't sleep with the itching. Don't know what they gave him, but it stopped the itch. Two weeks later he still has little red dots like a case of measles all over his body. I didn't see them for the record. Took his story as truff. :D

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found clear nail polish and benedryl are your best friends when it comes to chiggers. Or, since the VA prescribes it to me, generic Vistaril. It's like benedryl x10. Turns you into a zombie, but it is a ridiculously powerful antihistamine and will cure just about any itching problems you have. If I get a bad sunburn my body develops an allergic reaction to it(thanks .gov) and I itch till I can't stand it no more and will scratch myself to a bloody pulp no matter what I do. But Vistaril helps make it bearable. Same with chiggers if I get them real bad.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found clear nail polish and benedryl are your best friends when it comes to chiggers. Or, since the VA prescribes it to me, generic Vistaril. It's like benedryl x10. Turns you into a zombie, but it is a ridiculously powerful antihistamine and will cure just about any itching problems you have. If I get a bad sunburn my body develops an allergic reaction to it(thanks .gov) and I itch till I can't stand it no more and will scratch myself to a bloody pulp no matter what I do. But Vistaril helps make it bearable. Same with chiggers if I get them real bad.

OH MY GOSH don't do that! Clear nail polish is never the right answer. bleach maybe if there is no broken open skin. if there is then simply an oatmeal bath and cover with calamine lotion. topped with benedryl of course.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was ate up by chiggers really bad once...literally hundreds of bites...I thought setting myself on fire would be more pleasant than that misery. Long, burning hot showers brought me some relief.

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Permethrin Arthropod Repellent for your clothing ONLY for over twenty years now . You spray it on all your clothes let them dry , boots & hat also , no more ticks or chiggers . This stuff really works .Comes in a 6oz spray can and 12oz spray bottle . ( msn # 684-01-278-1336 I don't know if the number will help )

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't go in the field when it's green ever again without my clothes sprayed with Permathin! Chiggers are the worst!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plagued with them in Bartlesville growing up, they don't seem to exist over here. I've not had a bite in 20+ years over here, neither has the family.

Latest posts

Top Bottom