Cleaning Cosmoline

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not like to use water or petroleum based cleaners on wood. Turpentine is not petroleum based and will remove the cosmoline well. To draw any out of the pores of the wood, I wrap the stock in newspaper, used several dozen rubber bands and lay it on the dashboard of the truck for a few days.

rbror

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not like to use water or petroleum based cleaners on wood. Turpentine is not petroleum based and will remove the cosmoline well. To draw any out of the pores of the wood, I wrap the stock in newspaper, used several dozen rubber bands and lay it on the dashboard of the truck for a few days.

But then your car smells like cosmoline

CD68

Marksman
Reaction score
On a hot summer day, my attic sweats it out pretty good. I took my last Mosin apart and hung it from the rafters for the day. It came out just needing a little wipe down. It wasn't totally caked in cosmoline though.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use murphy's oil mixed 4:1 with warm water for the wood and WD 40 on the metal and bore. Coat all metal with
Rem oil when I'm done. I wipe as much cosmoline off as I can with a dry rag prior to this. Works on all of the cosmo
soaked milsurps I've bought

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've told y'all this 100000x's.
Boil water on stove.
place stock or? above steam by some sort of prop on both ends.
wipe away cosmoline every 5-10 minutes.
cleans it out goooood.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Best way I have ever found

P.S.

Be certain to make sure that whoever's old kitchen pot you're using is okay with never using it for cooking again. LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom