Coffee Badging the new workplace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many of you have had to leave your remote work to be mandated back to the office?

IMG_8030.jpeg

Extended article link.
https://www.entrepreneur.com/busine...g-hybrid-workplace-trend-gaining-steam/463296

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love it, lol.
As a production guy, I never get to work remotely, but about 80% of the office did during the scamdemic. Lots of folks still "work from home" occasionally. It's a load of crap IMHO. There are a few out of state contractors we have that work remote and do a great job, but they are the exception.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the people in our biz have worked remotely for years, so covid really didn't change the model much. Remote works for some and not for some. Got to have the right people doing the jobs, and it really helps if the job offers easy to measure success/failure. And benchmarking to peers.

I mean, if a remote guy sells 2x the widgets of his inhouse peers, he can probably convince me easy enough that he should be able to work remotely if he wants to. If what I care about is # of widgets sold, # of lines coded, # of whatever completed, I don't care how it's accomplished, generally.

I see issues with the remote manager/exec type more than the people doing the work. They can appear to be doing 'ok' for quite a while just based on the work being done by their people. And the 'team' environment is tough to pull off imo, zoom and slack just aren't the same.

Then you've got unfairness to the guys who have jobs that can't be done remotely. That remote flexibility is worth something, so if it's not an option, seems like some concession would make sense from a morale standpoint. I wonder if companies should look at some sort of flexibility pay to compensate those that have to be in the office or plant to get the job done vs peers who might have a work from home option.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the people in our biz have worked remotely for years, so covid really didn't change the model much. Remote works for some and not for some. Got to have the right people doing the jobs, and it really helps if the job offers easy to measure success/failure. And benchmarking to peers.

I mean, if a remote guy sells 2x the widgets of his inhouse peers, he can probably convince me easy enough that he should be able to work remotely if he wants to. If what I care about is # of widgets sold, # of lines coded, # of whatever completed, I don't care how it's accomplished, generally.

I see issues with the remote manager/exec type more than the people doing the work. They can appear to be doing 'ok' for quite a while just based on the work being done by their people. And the 'team' environment is tough to pull off imo, zoom and slack just aren't the same.

Then you've got unfairness to the guys who have jobs that can't be done remotely. That remote flexibility is worth something, so if it's not an option, seems like some concession would make sense from a morale standpoint. I wonder if companies should look at some sort of flexibility pay to compensate those that have to be in the office or plant to get the job done vs peers who might have a work from home option.
Yep. My team were hailed as "heroes" for getting parts out the door while office folks "worked" remotely.
Then we were threatened with termination if we didn't take the jab.

I thought we ought to get a fuel stipend instead.

I do love Zoom though. Less travel for me, and less face time with folks that I don't like.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love it, lol.
As a production guy, I never get to work remotely, but about 80% of the office did during the scamdemic. Lots of folks still "work from home" occasionally. It's a load of crap IMHO. There are a few out of state contractors we have that work remote and do a great job, but they are the exception.
It does get abused, but it also works from time to time. I called my boss on Friday morning and said there was no way I could make it to work. I'd started getting sick about midnight and no amount of medication was working. I asked him if he wanted me to take sick leave or telework. He said he needed me so telework. No problem. I issued guidance to my direct reports on tasks, reviewed and approved reports, requested changes to a couple of them, analyzed a HQ report and issued more guidance on opening trouble tickets and change requests, did a threat assessment on a questionable access request (denied) and processed payroll for the pay period.

I got pretty much the same amount of work done as I would've had I driven to work. Maybe more since getting ready and the commute would've taken some energy. Now I'm not all backed up and swamped at work this morning (just waiting on some reports to be submitted). The only bad part was having to cancel my weekend trip to my buddy's cabin on Table Rock Lake. Turned out it was just a 24-36 hour bug, but there's no way I could've worked at the office and driven to Table Rock and there was no way I was going to go after not going to work, plus I didn't want to get anyone else sick.

Probably the exception, but I'm glad the flexibility is there for everyone's benefit. On average my people get about one telework day per pay period. They structure their work so everything can be submitted in the systems on those days, and doing any webinars or online learning requirements that must be met.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It depends on the job and the work ethic of the individual. People screw off while working from home and at work as evidenced by some of the posts during supposed work hours here.
As stated elsewhere, work and not work all blend together for me. I'm really never fully off duty, answering calls and emails even when on vacation. Or driving home from work. Or at home. Even at 4am. Or while fishing. I even answer work phone calls and view emails via my sonar/chartplotter on the boat.

So my boss knows what I do "on the clock" and it's accepted. After all, I don't get a dime extra for doing my job the other 128 hours of the week.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As stated elsewhere, work and not work all blend together for me. I'm really never fully off duty, answering calls and emails even when on vacation. Or driving home from work. Or at home. Even at 4am. Or while fishing. I even answer work phone calls and view emails via my sonar/chartplotter on the boat.

So my boss knows what I do "on the clock" and it's accepted. After all, I don't get a dime extra for doing my job the other 128 hours of the week.
Yeah, I failed to notify @MichaelCox when I was working while on bereavement leave last week.

As important it is to me that he approves of my work ethic, I'm surprised it slipped my mind.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I laughed at this….while working remotely!
Lots of people "work" remotely and think nothing of screwing around on the internet instead of the job they are paid to do. Some even think it's funny. Like I've said before I'd bet a lot of them couldn't stretch their "work" out for more than a couple of hours if supervised. I'm sure there are some that are productive and do more remotely without any supervision or commute to a job site. It's about work ethic and integrity. Both are on the decline in America.

Latest posts

Top Bottom