Colorado Passes, by Voice Vote, High Cap Mags

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OSUFire

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Simple. Mags have to have a SN and date. If they don't, they are illegal. It will only take them about 5 minutes to figure that out and write it into the law.

Not that simple. There is no way of going back and dating all magazines that have been made and owned already, so saying that all without a date are illegal will not work. What happens when one is found in your possession that was purchased last year with no date or SN?

They could write in that all mags sold in CO from this date forward shall have a date and sn, but good luck getting manufacturers not in CO to comply accross the board on all magazines. They could simple date the mags less than 10 rounds for CO and not date the rest for other states. Then good luck proving that the mag was not already owned.

WillR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not that simple. There is no way of going back and dating all magazines that have been made and owned already, so saying that all without a date are illegal will not work. What happens when one is found in your possession that was purchased last year with no date or SN?

They could write in that all mags sold in CO from this date forward shall have a date and sn, but good luck getting manufacturers not in CO to comply accross the board on all magazines. They could simple date the mags less than 10 rounds for CO and not date the rest for other states. Then good luck proving that the mag was not already owned.

Unfortunately very simple. Mag without serial # = same crime as gun without serial #.

OSUFire

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately very simple. Mag without serial # = same crime as gun without serial #.

Again not very simple. Having a gun without a SN is not illegal. Example: an 80% lower for an AR15. I can buy one with no ffl and build a fully operational gun that has no SN. I can't transfer or sell it but it is not illegal to possess.

I understand what you are getting at in that they will find a way to get what they want. I just think its not going to be as simple as they think it will be. I could be completely wrong about it, it wont be the.first time.

Brother Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I understand by talking with those there, the proof of ownership and purchase date are on those that are caught with the Mags. You are presumed guilty until proven innocent is the way they are understanding it. You must have documentation in your possession showing you owned the Mags prior to the law passing.

Just wonder if all these Coloradans are still happy about the Californians coming in and buying up all those high priced homes in Denver, Boulder and other cities.

Lots of outside cash coming into state should any Democrat decide to oppose this.
Stiff Finger Jim

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I understand by talking with those there, the proof of ownership and purchase date are on those that are caught with the Mags. You are presumed guilty until proven innocent is the way they are understanding it. You must have documentation in your possession showing you owned the Mags prior to the law passing.

None of that is in the law as written. And if it was, it would be blatantly unconstitutional and would be struck down by any court reviewing it, for violating the presumption of innocence that is required in any criminal trial, and for making an ex post facto crime (for people who owned mags before the ban but didn't get any proof of purchase, because it wasn't legally required at the time).

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't New York recently pass a law outlawing all high-capacity (i.e., more than 7 rounds, lol) magazines, regardless? Yeah... not so hard to implement, folks. It may not be in the current iteration of the law, but it WILL come about eventually.

As mentioned above and before ad nauseum, they will get the laws they want. If not this year, the next, or the next, or the next. Our rights ARE being eroded and will continue to be eroded until guns are no longer allowed. And yes, even a total repeal of the 2nd Amendment is not out of the question for this country. Just wait, watch and see. Nothing short of a massive reawakening will stop the slow downward spiral. And frankly, I just don't see it happening, unfortunately.

Latest posts

Top Bottom