Colt vs Kimber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is the better 1911

• Colt

Votes: 18 47.4%
  • Kimber

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Other 1911

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters

TSQUARE

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. Unfortunately it is now up for sell / trade. Beautiful gun, but i just can't justify having it. I bought it without really thinking it through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 Strings

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just picked up a new Colt TALO 1911 Concealed Carry Government for $879. I will get it to the range next week to see how she runs.

By all means, everyone should have at least one or two 1911's. With that said, while I like my 1911's my SIG P220's are very special. First gun I ever bought was a Browning BDA in 45ACP (SIG P220 w/Euro mag release). Very accurate and exceptionally reliable. Still have it (and the original box). Same with my newer (also German) SIG. I have the "thin" grips on it and that take away that "boxy" feel and for me, makes the gun point instinctively. SIGs P220's (I believe) are going for under $1000.

SingleStack45

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 1st gen Kimber that would be the LAST gun I ever get rid of...but my first 1911 was a Colt 1991A1 Officers...and I wish I still had it...that among a few that I wish I could have kept over the years...

I see that you bought and are now selling a Sig 1911...am I the only one here that can remember when the only 2 serious "production" (-ie not Wilson, Ed Brown etc) 1911's out there WERE Colt and Springfield? There were others...but if you were a serious 1911 guy...those were your choices...

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer Colt, Sig Sauer, Wilson Combat, and Springfield Armory 1911's.
I have a Colt Series 80 MK IV Gold Cup National Match (Blued), it's the first 1911 I ever got and I love it to death!
It's accurate as heck, hell I bet I can be blindfolded, turn my back to the target, and shoot backwards and hit the target in a 2 inch or smaller. That Colt is that accurate, no lie.
I also got to shoot a full-size Wilson Combat while while my dad and I was with Massad Ayoob at one of the big matches at USSA last year or so and it was also very very accurate.
My dad had the Springfield Armory Loaded SS model and it was also very accurate, now maybe not as accurate as my Colt or that Wilson Combat but it was a very good 1911.
As far as Sig Sauer 1911's, I've only handled them but they feel so good in the hands. I'm planning on getting the Sig Sauer Nightmare carry model (combat commander size) and from all the reviews on it I've heard noting bad about it at all, nor have I not heard of anything bad about any of the of models of 1911's Sig makes.
I'm also planning on getting the new Springfield Armory Range Officer in 9mm, now that would be a cool lil' gun to have just for fun, but it would be also a great carry gun.
But this is my two cents on what I consider the best 1911's out on the market.
As far as Kimber 1911's, IMHO, I don't like them.
They just don't feel good in my hands when I handle them, plus they feel kinda' cheap to me.
IMHO, I think Kimber doesn't make good 1911's.
I'd rather have a cheap plain jane Rock Island Armory/Armscor 1911 over a Kinber any day of the week.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since you asked.... I have a Colt Special Combat. It took me 14 months to get it. They are built one at a time by one guy. Colt's top of the line. I haven't shot it. I also have a SIG STX. I LOVE it and it's more accurate than I'll ever be.

Don't overlook the Ruger 1911. In my opinion, it is the best dollar-per value 1911 on the market. It has a lot of features the high end guns have at a fraction of the cost.

farpoint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had several of both. The Kimber usually doesn't need the"laying of hands upon" it as the Colt does when first aquired but after the Colt is tuned you can't beat it. That's my humble opinion. I own five and won't part with them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom