Communications for shtf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently purchased a a couple of Baofeng UV 5R 2 meter radios. I wanted mainly for communication on my 80 acres that the little Midland's didn't seem to range enough. However, since I have a general ham license, WA5SEA, and my wife doesn't I picked up a pair of the Retevis MURS radios. I have been impressed with their range and clarity. So now I can communicate a little farther with my Baofengs ( besides my home radios) and stay in good communication with the boss.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sat in the truck for a while listening to the radio and picked up a conversation about 40 miles east of me I could hear them crystal clear when they were done I asked for a radio check and no response I guess I can’t get out as far as they can I’m new to this not sure if a better antenna would help?

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Just got an Allstar node up and running. There are several Allstar nodes connected to repeaters around as well. Have yet connect to a repeater node but have just started messing with it. My node is working as it should and I am listening to Net called Boredom breaker that is pretty much a world wide net.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I got a friend of mine to program my radio to some of the repeaters near me and I made contact tonight with a guy about 25 miles or so away not bad I thought with a small antenna and during a thunderstorm it’s a lot better than the old CB Mobil units

Latest posts

Top Bottom