Completed M16-A1 Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So here's a question - seeing as now its a registered full-auto lower as well as an SBR - did you have to get that Colt lower engraved (or was it purchased as an SBR/Full auto so it just required a Form 4)?

I'm certainly jealous man - very nice gun.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So here's a question - seeing as now its a registered full-auto lower as well as an SBR - did you have to get that Colt lower engraved (or was it purchased as an SBR/Full auto so it just required a Form 4)?

Thanks for all the compliments guys (and constructive criticism).

This is a registered reciever lower on a Form 4, rather than an RDIAS or Lightning Link, so no engraving required for using an SBR upper. I'm not sure whether a host lower is required to be engraved, as I never looked at that route. Perhaps some of our resident SME's in that area could chime in?

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

It is a machinegun, not a rifle.

Rifles have a barrel restriction of 16". Anything under 16" must be registered as an SBR.

Machineguns have no barrel restrictions at all. You can use any length barrel you want without any additional registration.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is a machinegun, not a rifle.

Rifles have a barrel restriction of 16". Anything under 16" must be registered as an SBR.

Machineguns have no barrel restrictions at all. You can use any length barrel you want without any additional registration.

What about RDIAS and Lightning Links? Since the host lower is not the NFA item, does it need to be SBR registered to use a barrel shorter than 16"?

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about RDIAS and Lightning Links? Since the host lower is not the NFA item, does it need to be SBR registered to use a barrel shorter than 16"?

Yes and No.

If you plan on leaving the RDIAS/LL in the host receiver all of the time, then the host receiver is a machinegun and would not require registration as an SBR.

If you plan on moving the RDIAS or LL between multiple host receivers then you would need to SBR register whichever receiver would still have a <16" barrel while the device is in another receiver.

Another thing to remember is that you cannot leave the M16 FCG parts in the lower when you move the RDIAS to another receiver. You cannot have multiple M16 FCG parts with only 1 RDIAS. This is not an issue for LL's since they work off of the standard AR-15 FCG parts.

HTH

Latest posts

Top Bottom