Completed M16-A1 Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very informative stuff - ok here's another question - where did you get that DD single-point rear QD adapter, and can we see a pic of it without the can (since I'm going to put a MITER on my AR, I'd like to know sort of what it looks like with one of AAC's QD connectors on it - knowing that yours isn't a MITER connector and all, but still - I'd love to see it)?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes and No.

If you plan on leaving the RDIAS/LL in the host receiver all of the time, then the host receiver is a machinegun and would not require registration as an SBR.

If you plan on moving the RDIAS or LL between multiple host receivers then you would need to SBR register whichever receiver would still have a <16" barrel while the device is in another receiver.

Another thing to remember is that you cannot leave the M16 FCG parts in the lower when you move the RDIAS to another receiver. You cannot have multiple M16 FCG parts with only 1 RDIAS. This is not an issue for LL's since they work off of the standard AR-15 FCG parts.

HTH

Good info! Thanks for posting it!

Very informative stuff - ok here's another question - where did you get that DD single-point rear QD adapter, and can we see a pic of it without the can (since I'm going to put a MITER on my AR, I'd like to know sort of what it looks like with one of AAC's QD connectors on it - knowing that yours isn't a MITER connector and all, but still - I'd love to see it)?

I got the DD adapter off of Josh L. (on the M4Carbine.net forum, not here). The only downside to it is that with the QD sling attachment in place, the stock will not latch in the fully closed position. It's not really a big deal, more of a mental annoyance than a true hindrance. I usually run a 2 point, but it's nice to have the option.

I'll try to take a pic of it with the can off tonight and post up! :)

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good info! Thanks for posting it!

I got the DD adapter off of Josh L. (on the M4Carbine.net forum, not here). The only downside to it is that with the QD sling attachment in place, the stock will not latch in the fully closed position. It's not really a big deal, more of a mental annoyance than a true hindrance. I usually run a 2 point, but it's nice to have the option.

I'll try to take a pic of it with the can off tonight and post up! :)

That's cool man - I've got a couple of the Noveske's Single QD sling-plate (its actually there in place of the standard M4 end-plate) and I had just never seen the DD single-point connector before.

You might check out the Noveske - I can close my stock all the way with a QD connected to it.

So here's another silly question - if you buy a registered lower, can you then buy all the M16 FCG parts without hassle or do you have to have some special permission to get those as well?

Since yours is a registered M16 A1 lower, can you do get the FCG parts for 3 round burst or are you limited to only what was on the A1?

What's an average cost on a stripped Pre-86 registered lower (or can you even find them and/or did you buy yours completed)?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's cool man - I've got a couple of the Noveske's Single QD sling-plate (its actually there in place of the standard M4 end-plate) and I had just never seen the DD single-point connector before.

You might check out the Noveske - I can close my stock all the way with a QD connected to it.

So here's another silly question - if you buy a registered lower, can you then buy all the M16 FCG parts without hassle or do you have to have some special permission to get those as well?

Since yours is a registered M16 A1 lower, can you do get the FCG parts for 3 round burst or are you limited to only what was on the A1?

What's an average cost on a stripped Pre-86 registered lower (or can you even find them and/or did you buy yours completed)?

I bought mine as a complete Colt M16-A1 20" HB. I didn't have to provide any verification paperwork to Gisselle for the SSF FCG, but some vendors want a verification form from you that you have a registered FA before they'll sell you FA FCG parts. Yes, you can get a 3rd burst for it if that floats your boat. The M16-A2's with the 3 rd burst actually command the highest prices, but some of them you find with the 3 round burst swapped out for the std. FA FCG.

Prices on all the FA stuff is a little depressed due to the economy. The various AR/16 options run anywhere from 9-15K, depending on what you get. Here is a link to some FA market trends that are available on the web: http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/html/price_guides.html

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You can buy full-auto, 3-round burst or 4-Way (burst & auto) FCG parts. You are not restricted to the type of FCG you use. You cannot have any spare parts if you also own an AR-15 (see ATF letter on the subject http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/atf_letter52.txt).

Stripped full-auto lowers are not very easy to find as most have been built into fully functioning guns since 1986. Even if you could find one, they would not be much cheaper than a complete gun. Figure $12,000 for a factory Colt and $10,000 for a conversion. RDIAS's are over $10,000 as well and LL's are around $7,000. For what it is worth, I bought my M16 as a stripped lower in 1991 for $950. Wish I would have bought 10 of them now.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GTG, thanks for posting and as other have stated, that's a VERY nice setup you have there.

CAR, thanks for responding, being AR/FA ignorant I definately learned something here.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i like it but being as its a M16A1 and the retro guy in me screams it should be stone stock M16A1 with triangle handguards and everything. That would be cool and i need to build another 603 or 604 clone

Latest posts

Top Bottom