Conflicted.... Card #26

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of your friends tells you that he can't live in this world anymore, and he has confessed to you that he wants to commit suicide. Talks with his wife and kinds wojo are still alive and depend on him seem to do nothing to change his mind. The children are too young and his wife to depressed to be of any help with this situation. As the leader of your group, what would you do with this member and his family?

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Punch him in the face. Beat his ass a bit. Drag him home to his wife and kids, and tell him if they aren't worth living for than nothing is. Drag his ass away again and hand him a bullet, and tell him the choice is his, but he better make that one shot count, because if he lives and he's a veggie, that Richard Simmons is supposed to be joining the group soon, and he'll be the perfect candidate to be his boyfriend. Then walk away.

Ok...so maybe all but one line of that. I'm a believer if someone is going to do it, then do it, don't go around telling people. It may be harsh, but I've been down that road myself with the barrel of a 20 g under my chin, and never told a single person what I wanted. I found it with in myself why I chose to live.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Talk to him an see if it helps. If not, its his life. As for the wife n kids, they are in the group, id try to comfort them as much as possible. I wouldnt boot them though.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd want to talk to him.

One of the better comments that I heard from all this Robin Williams stuff was something like
"depression is a dark, hungry beast that just wants to get you alone in a dark room. Don't let it."

Make sure he isn't alone. Find out why he feels this way. See what if anything can be done.

Was he on antidepressants before everything hit the fan?
Any chance of getting more?

All else fails, what does his wife look like?

Dave

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If someone wants to kill themselves, I mean, truly do it, I don't think there is really any way to stop the eventuality of it. You can't babysit them 24-7.
I'd try to talk him out of it, maybe find out what hobby he enjoyed pre-collapse & incorporate it into his new job. Take him off any watches where he's armed and the security of the group depends on him. As for his wife, I'd have a sit down there too. I'd explain that yes, this is tough on everyone, but we're surviving it. Help them see that their kids need them and maybe try to boost morale by breaking out some comforts if possible.
As for the kids, I'd keep them out of it. They sense more than what you'd think. They have an idea what's going on. I'd just be there to help support the whole family. Ultimately, it is their decision.
I'd probably take a good read of the whole group. Like ratski said, was he on anti-depressants before? Is this a PTSD situation? I'd evaluate our diet. Are we getting enough Vit D/C/Calcium? If not, that can reduce levels of serotonin causing depression. Incorporate some herbs that assist with reducing depression such as basil, rosemary, thyme, ginger, sage, st. john's wart, ginkgo.

eyecyou

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cant have respect for any that chose the easy way out, and id tell him straight out that either he can pull the trigger or i can. Hopefully he wasn't an extremely valuable part of the team, but i wont drag around someone that needs to be babysat all the time. Life's tough n he's not the only one in it.

I don't know what to say about the wife. Mine probably woulda either been slappin the dog $#!+ outta me tellin me im stupid, or have shot me herself for mentioning it.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If people tell you they want to kill themselves, then they don't really want to die, they want help, at least at that moment in time. If he's a drain on the group then I probably don't care what he does. If he isn't I would go into more details on whats going on, I like the suggestion of incorporating healing herbs etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom