conflicted.... Card #31

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two members of your team are dying. The first person will die no matter what medical intervention you provide, but the second can be saved by surgery. Your friend has medical expertise but is confused on a few steps of the proposed procedure. if they are able to practice the surgical procedure on the first person ( that is dying ) if would drastically improve your chances of saving the second person. The group is at odds because the first person is not coherent enough to give you consent.
As the leader of your group, how would you proceed, and what decision would you make?

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It the first person is for sure a soon to be dead man and not coherent enough to give consent I say a SHTF version of implied consent becomes law even if that person was me.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This does NOT compute ... My friend has medical expertise but is confused by a few steps ... :scratch:

Sorry to be a Debby Downer guys, but surgery is NOT something just anybody with a CNA from Platt College is gonna be able to do.

I maintain that if someone "is confused by a few steps" they have absolutely NO BUSINESS performing anything that even remotely resembles surgery. To allow them to do so will cause much, much more suffering before the inevitable. There are some things worse than death. One of them is death after suffering from the massive damage and infection caused by someone "doing surgery" who has no clue what they are doing.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This does NOT compute ... My friend has medical expertise but is confused by a few steps ... :scratch:

Sorry to be a Debby Downer guys, but surgery is NOT something just anybody with a CNA from Platt College is gonna be able to do.

I maintain that if someone "is confused by a few steps" they have absolutely NO BUSINESS performing anything that even remotely resembles surgery. To allow them to do so will cause much, much more suffering before the inevitable. There are some things worse than death. One of them is death after suffering from the massive damage and infection caused by someone "doing surgery" who has no clue what they are doing.

the first surgeons had to learn some how. Ease the pain of the first one, let them go. Then practice surgery on the cadaver.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hmmm medical expertise... that could mean alot of things but if they are the closest thing you have to a surgeon I guess its better to take the chance on saving the person than just letting them both die. Does the first person have family or anyone that could give consent for them? sort of like turning off the life support? If I was the person that could be saved by the surgery, I'd probably want them to at least try and save me.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I"m with BB on this one. If they are "confused" about a couple of steps, they have no business doing surgery in the first place. Chances are, once they start they will realize they've forgotten even more than they thought - and end up killing the second person anyway - but only after protracted pain, infection and becoming a larger burden on the group until they die.

Latest posts

Top Bottom