Conflicted.... Card #6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Half a day early... its camping time!

Someone in your group has gear that would be better used in the hands of another member who's more experienced. The owner doesn't want to lend his equipment because modern society has collapsed, and his gear is now irreplaceable. Giving his gear to the more qualified person would be a great advantage to your group.
As the group's leader, do you force the man to lend his equipment in order to give the entire group a much needed advantage or do you respect his right to his own property?

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
His property. Just as I would expect my property to be respected, so shall the group respect theirs. Perhaps it is in the groups best interest to have the more experienced person teach the owner of the property how to better use the gear.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I"m getting old... the O'l eyes ain't what they used to be... I have a nice big reach out and touch you bolt gun that I probably couldn't use past 300 yards.... do I give it up if its my only gun knowing full well that there are better shooters in the group that could use it?
as a leader... how about making a trade for the equipment?.... say.. give the old guy a shot gun for his bad azz bolt gun?.. or since the old guy has some body armor and knows full well he wont be the one going thru the door first? or if I am skilled in canning and have a crap load of canning stuff but I could be better used on security since I am also skilled in this area, or welding or machine repair... but I am a damn good cook?

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Everyone supposedly had a chance to get what they thought would be needed in a SHTF scenario.
So, what is yours is yours. Period. So someone may be better experienced at using said equipment.
For whatever reason, he never thought ahead to get his own, so why should another lend it to him
to use as his? Because Joe is the best shot of the group does that mean he should get the best rifle
in the group? No, not unless you want to cause internal distress to all group members. Who decides
who is best at any given task? I just see trivial decision making such as that dividing everyone.
Given any hypothetical SHTF situation we could think of, I'm certain of one thing. And that there will be
a lot of different things that will stress out your group. Arguing over who owns what and who has the most
knowledge would only add to all the stresses that will come about.
If the owner feels that the group is in desperate enough circumstances, if he's worth his salt, he would
approach the more experienced person on his own to work out letting him borrow it from time to time as
circumstances promote themselves.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No rules. Shoot him n take what ya want. Knowing strengths and weaknesses is important, so is keeping it real. Play nice or get dead.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yours is yours and mine is mine.
A good leader should talk about how the more experienced could better use the equipment, offer an equitable trade, or set up training so as to allow him to better use HIS equipment. But in the end it is HIS.
Confiscating personal belongings is NOT a good way to promote a good group dynamic, mutual respect and teamwork will go farther than any single piece of equipment just by changing the operator.
Granted, a very specialized piece of equipment in the hands of a totally inept person instead of an expert may be a game changer, BUT why would a totally inept person have such a specialized piece?
My way of thinking is more of, I have an L-frame S&W, attack is imminent and the group says I should give my chooter to Jerry Miculek. Is he more proficient? I would have to say yes, DUH. Am I totally inept? NO!
Am I giving up my gun? NOT gonna happen. Try and take it. Offer me that 870, M4, .........., perhaps JM has lost use of 1 arm and can only use a revolver ????????? We could probably work something out. Better to have him in the fight and I get an upgrade ??????

As usual, vague scenario to create thinking. Just the way I see it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom