Constitutional Carry (SB 1212) on the OK House floor 4/23

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MosinMann

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand the justification of one part of the bill. It states that only folks 21 years old and up can open carry a handgun. However, if you are military, active or discharged, you can carry at 18 and up. Why the exception and no conditions? Are military assumed to be better trained to carry than the general public or are they seen as more responsible or something else?

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand the justification of one part of the bill. It states that only folks 21 years old and up can open carry a handgun. However, if you are military, active or discharged, you can carry at 18 and up. Why the exception and no conditions? Are military assumed to be better trained to carry than the general public or are they seen as more responsible or something else?
Just political posturing so they can say look what I did for you.

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dear Marys' assistant,

These guys and girl (Annie) are wonderful people and some were only joking around with some of the negative comments about Mary. We all think she is very nice (as long as she signs this bill). Please tell her to sign quickly. If she doesn't sign this bill soon.......yeah.....there will be more negative comments and I will personally make mean comments about you. Thanks for your understanding and so on n so on.

P.S. does Mary like peanut butter? If so what brand? (Cuz that's what I thought this thread was about)
monkey-peanut-butter_kindlephoto-187325481.jpg

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

What's hard to understand about that? The answer to your question regarding ..."better trained...and more responsible"... is probably a YES. And for the record, I do wish that the age for everyone here was 18, but if that cannot be, then going the way they did makes perfectly good sense to me.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So do I understand this correctly? The legislature has adjourned. So Governor Fallin has 17 days instead of the usual five to sign this bill into law. What happens if she continues to stall past that 17 day period? Does it automatically become law? Or is it considered dead on her desk?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I had just turned 19 when I started basic training. The only machine gun I had ever seen was on TV. They took us to the range one day and I had to qualify with it. I had to qualify twice a year with M-16 rifles and pistols till I was discharged. Before each qualifying session there was always a class on each firearm. Safety, maintenance, and shooting rechniques.

I believe the reasoning is that if we can take kids age 18, hand them machineguns, explosives, tanks and rocket launchers and trust them to protect out country, we should be able to trust them to carry guns in civilian life too.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So do I understand this correctly? The legislature has adjourned. So Governor Fallin has 17 days instead of the usual five to sign this bill into law. What happens if she continues to stall past that 17 day period? Does it automatically become law? Or is it considered dead on her desk?
It's 15 days excluding sundays so she has till the 21st to sign it or its what they call a pocket veto. At that point the legislators can come back into session if they choose(unlikely) to vote against the veto.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Pocket Veto
https://okpolicy.org/pocket-veto/
Pocket Veto, What's That?
If a bill passes the Oklahoma Legislature during the final five days of session, the Governor has 15 days following the final day of session to sign or veto it. If the Governor does not sign or veto the bill by the end of that 15-day period, it does not become law. This is known as a “pocket veto.” No reasons for the pocket veto are required, and no override is possible

Latest posts

Top Bottom