Controlled hunt preference points

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jlingle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay…. My son and I have always submitted in a party with 2 other guys, and this year they bailed on us. We’re putting in with just the two of us right now. We each have 4 preference points. Our #1 selection choice is the Wichita Mtn buck hunt, then it goes down the line with mcaap hunts starting with the last November hunt and going backwards. My question is this: how many preference points do we realistically need in order to draw? I mean really. I keep hearing about people drawing on their first try or second time putting in, etc.

It took me 12 years to draw the first time. After that, it’s been the big old bagel for me. We never seem to have the luck of other people with the draw, so what has been the consensus? How long does this normally take? Are we just applying for the hardest ones to get?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are applying for the ones with lower odds of draw. People with no or low preference points draw for hunts every year. What is more important to you? An extra hunt or a chance for a trophy?

Jlingle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty much what I figured. I would love to hunt mcaap. I’ve never hunted it. Next question: besides applying for hunts that most people don’t want, do you guys think there’s any particular trick that helps your odds? Such as: applying in groups, having a female in the group, etc?

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Drew three times when i was in my 20's Cookson Hills was my favorite killed a nice Buck on one hunt haven't drawn since.. hate the new system don't even think im going to put in any more.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much what I figured. I would love to hunt mcaap. I’ve never hunted it. Next question: besides applying for hunts that most people don’t want, do you guys think there’s any particular trick that helps your odds? Such as: applying in groups, having a female in the group, etc?
Prayer? You might read up on applying as a group - I think that's the only way to help your odds. Don't think I want to be around when you bring up having a female hunter and wanting better odds!

Keep in mind that OK preferred points are just an extra "ticket" in the hat. People draw an elk tag first year and others have been putting in since day one and have like 27 points. IMO, tags should go to the person with the most points. If a tie, then do a random number generator. Whoever didn't get drawn from the tie, "should" be first in line for the next year.

There's another thread on here somewhere regarding the controlled elk hunts with a similar discussion.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back before they started the computerized drawings me and my buddies would some times draw out for two hunts.

But since the computer draws them we’re lucky to draw out once every three-four years on deer.

It wouldn’t matter if you had 3 of the hottest supermodels in your group, it won’t help you drawing out.

My advice to you would be, only put in for doe hunts only, that’ll give me and my buds better chances at the Wichita Mtns., big Mac, etc. 🤣🤣🤣.

Just keep putting in and ya’ll will get in eventually.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been to mcaap half a dozen times since I was a teenager. Cool place, cool concept, there are some big deer for sure but if you've got big deer at home, your odds are a zillion times greater to kill a trad buck at home lol.

PiedmontGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At least for McAAP, your odds will go up when you avoid the last 3 or 4 weekends. Like me, most people want to hunt McAAP when it cools off AND when there might be rut activity. I think a lot less people apply for those first two weekends, so that raises your odds. Even still, my record for the last two weekends are being drawn about every 5 years.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have found that applying solo increases your odds. Think about it, one spot is easier to fill than four. I am ditto be drawn every other year or so and always apply solo. I also only apply for doe hints which helps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom