Controlled hunt preference points

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have found that applying solo increases your odds. Think about it, one spot is easier to fill than four. I am ditto be drawn every other year or so and always apply solo. I also only apply for doe hints which helps.
If there's four in your group and one of you gets drawn, all four of you are in, so I'm not sure how solo increases your odds? If solo increases your odds, I wouldn't think that there would be thousands of folks with 20-30 pref points for elk and the Wichita Mtn deer hunt.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If there's four in your group and one of you gets drawn, all four of you are in, so I'm not sure how solo increases your odds? If solo increases your odds, I wouldn't think that there would be thousands of folks with 20-30 pref points for elk and the Wichita Mtn deer hunt.
Say there are five spots to select for a hunt. They choose hunter 1, then hunter 2, then the guy with four on his application is pulled with only three hunts available. His group wouldn't get it and it would got to the next hunter selected. A hunt may just have one spot to fill to complete the draws, each application with more than one person would get passed over.

At least that is my theory and I am not sure if this is accurate but it is what I am thinking.

Of course this would not apply to elk because you can only apply solo.

Jlingle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Say there are five spots to select for a hunt. They choose hunter 1, then hunter 2, then the guy with four on his application is pulled with only three hunts available. His group wouldn't get it and it would got to the next hunter selected. A hunt may just have one spot to fill to complete the draws, each application with more than one person would get passed over.

At least that is my theory and I am not sure if this is accurate but it is what I am thinking.

Interesting take….. I never thought about it this way.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Is that for sure how it works? I have no idea. If there's 3 spots left and a group of 4 gets drawn does a single get dropped in order to fit the 4? Technically all 5 guys drew yet someone(s) are going to get left out even though they drew. Like I said I have no idea just thinking out loud.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is that for sure how it works? I have no idea. If there's 3 spots left and a group of 4 gets drawn does a single get dropped in order to fit the 4? Technically all 5 guys drew yet someone(s) are going to get left out even though they drew. Like I said I have no idea just thinking out loud.
I don’t know for sure either, it is just always the way I thought it was organized. I don’t think they would drop a single to get three in if four applied. Who would be the guy dropped and who makes that call?

All I know for sure is my selection success is a lot higher than other people I know. Then again, that may be due to my choices I apply for as well.

Jlingle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know for sure either, it is just always the way I thought it was organized. I don’t think they would drop a single to get three in if four applied. Who would be the guy dropped and who makes that call?

All I know for sure is my selection success is a lot higher than other people I know. Then again, that may be due to my choices I apply for as well.
Which hunts do you normally apply for?

Jlingle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you ever get drawn for Salt Plains, holler at me. If I’m going to be up there, I might be able to help out with lodging.
I always thought about putting my son in for that youth controlled hunt, when I was a member of the Okc Sportsman’s club. Evidently they owned a lodge up there.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always thought about putting my son in for that youth controlled hunt, when I was a member of the Okc Sportsman’s club. Evidently they owned a lodge up there.
I’ve heard they do, but I’m not sure where it is. I think it’s somewhere around Jet.

Edit to add I just looked at the OKC Sportman’s Club map, and they only show one property in NW Oklahoma just west of Cherokee. I know they used to have a bunch of land around Jet, because we used to bird hunt my Dad’s cousins places and lost access to it due to them leasing to the club.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom