Converting an ornamental gas log fireplace into a functioning heat source?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My current "fireplace" must have the flue open otherwise a risk of fire. The gas logs don't produce enough heat (to heat a room) with the flue open. It's strictly ornamental.

I have been in homes (back in the day) where they had gas heaters that looked like propane heaters, viz. the front grill is all lit up.

Do they make such to convert gas logs into functional heat? Something that doesn't look like it came from the set of Petticoat Junction?

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dunno what that is. The actual insert (fireplace walls/surround) caution (in the owner's manual) to not run the fireplace with the flue closed as it (the insert) is not designed for functional heating. Risk of fire.

And to get any actual heat effect, the doors must be open. But you have to be directly in front of it to feel anything. With the doors open, the draft carries the heat up and out.

Purely ornamental. I'm curious if there's anyway to convert it to functionality without yet another major construction project.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's not what I was thinking. I was thinking along the lines of something like what's pictured below. Except it's designed to fit in the fireplace opening to make it more aesthetically pleasing. I.e. something designed to (visually) flow into the actual opening.

81PcM-EwuML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My current "fireplace" must have the flue open otherwise a risk of fire. The gas logs don't produce enough heat (to heat a room) with the flue open. It's strictly ornamental.

I have been in homes (back in the day) where they had gas heaters that looked like propane heaters, viz. the front grill is all lit up.

Do they make such to convert gas logs into functional heat? Something that doesn't look like it came from the set of Petticoat Junction?
We’ve go a ventless fireplace with gas logs.

The thing is, if you read the manual it does need a fresh air source. I limit the run time when I turn them on.

I suspect there is no difference between your gas logs and mine.

I would use it as a heat source but be aware of how long you run them and get a carbon monoxide detector.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We’ve go a ventless fireplace with gas logs.

The thing is, if you read the manual it does need a fresh air source. I limit the run time when I turn them on.

I suspect there is no difference between your gas logs and mine.

I would use it as a heat source but be aware of how long you run them and get a carbon monoxide detector.
Again, the question pertains to the insert. It's an ornamental insert, about as effective for heating as opening youtube on the smart tv and running a fireplace video.

The insert itself doesn't insulate against studs and insulate surrounding it. The insert instruction manual says not to operate with flue closed. And with flue open, all the heat escapes out the chimney.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a family member who has a gas fireplace insert. You have to put a flu pipe up the chimney and at the top it has a special cap that both vents the flu gasses and it draws combustion air from outsite also. The fire burns behind a sealed removable glass front and has a forced air fan that scavenge the heat and blows it into the room. It works great and when it is on the furnace rarely runs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom