Lurkers "2 tote survival plan".

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've got this lease that has Lotta trees. And I have this stove. And I have a some deer meat and I know this lady that has a bunch of jars and prolly has a big pressure cooker.

Too bad Bartertown ain't all the way open. I'm sure a deal could be worked out.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my opinion:
If you want to be prepaired for a power outage, I have a suggestion of a way for you to make your list -- For 7 days, log every time you flip a switch, push a button, or hear an automatic device, HVAC, refrigerator, freezer, coffey pot, etc turn on. Log it, and think about how you would work around that if it stopped functioning for a week. How many of you are set up to brew your morning coffee and breckfast on the grill before you manually open your garage door in the dark on the way work or to fill your gas cans for your generator? Deoderent bottle full after no shower 4 days? Got a Bic blade?

I live in a total electric house in the country. House had more of everything we wanted except for total electric and was priced so right, had to take it. A few years ago we had a 7 day power outage in an ice storm. Water plant was down, cell phone tower back up generator ran out of fuel. We survived pretty well with our "to do List" but added several things:

A stock of paper plates and plastic ware is a good thing to have, you do not have to wash them. After we get ready for a power outage that might last a while, take a hot shower with the hot water you have, it might be a while until the next hot shower. I scraped up ice in a 5gal bucket and put it by the exhaust of the 6500 watt generator for flushing water. (pool was frozen over pretty thick, had to drain the hot tub to keep it from freezing damage.)

It was a real eye opener experience. Our fancy fireplace sucked out more heat than it produced. Fortunately we picked up 4 of the little reflective heat strip with a little fan box heaters scattered through out the house with cords. (I have since fixed the fire place with a grate-wall-of-fire. It worked so well we almost cought some nearby furniture on fire testing, another story.)

Go to lists are good to have. Updating them as you think about things is even better. Think about no electricty in the winter list, then we had no electricity 2 days in the summer a couple years later and did not know how long that might last. We now have two lists. Summer is much easier. Cooking coffey, bacon, and eggs on the grill in the summer is much more plesant.

Yes we could have driven into Tulsa and stayed tosty with Mom, but we did not want to let everything freeze.

Phone lines down, cell phone tower ran out of desiel and shut down. Had a Ham Radio in the garage on the boat battery, another one in my truck outside. 30 miles away in Claremore an older guy I know that usually turns his radio off at night said. " Ken, I will leave my radio on until you get back to normal, if you need anything in the night, ambulance, fire or anything, you or your wife get on the radio and yell until you wake me up and I will send any help you need." Fortunatily, I did not need him, but it was nice to know he (and others) were there for us.

I just filled the mower and boat gas cans for the winter. Hope I will not need them for the generator. If not used, I will pour them in the cars in the spring, even if not "fresh" it will burn in the cars.

I suggest everyone make a list so you do not forget small things, like taking a nice hot shower after coming home from work, or a manual can opener for your vianna sausage or what ever. We had to do a little digging to find a manual can opener.

The very next year my Mom who lived at 26th and Harvard in Tulsa. (In the middle of Town) was without power 7 days. She wanted to stay home. We took care of her using our list as a reference to keep her house from freezing. Fortunately I hooked my generator to her HVAC system to run the blower on her natual gas heater. Fixed her up with a couple of lights, electric skillet, coffee pot, cable TV, and only needed to touch up her frezer and refrigerator a couple times a day when I checked on her in the morning and then again after work.

Too many people think "That will never happen to me." Yep, it can, look up the area Mom lived in. Middle of Tulsa, 7 days.

I had some neighbors down the road that had no electric for 24 days. After mine was back on, I loaned out my generator, my shower, and helped all I could. We all survived without a single frozen busted pipe.

I do not consider myself a "prepper" but we can survive at least a week or two while we are deciding what to do next. What I have posted is plan A for short term. I have brown hunting firearms that shoot the same projectiles as black ones.

Actually, chrome is my favorite color.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good post, P238 ... I dunno about most folks but I'd rather stay in my own home, even if it's cold ... or hot ... and dark. I have critters that hotel/motels won't take ... and besides, when things like the power outage in 2007 happened here, GC had to go to 12 on, 12 off ... somebody needed to stay here and keep an eye on stuff ... and make sure the elderly neighbor guy was doing okay.

ncarper

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live out in the sticks on a farm so we obviously have additional (and different) preps that need to be made, but I really enjoyed your post. Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom