Cool video even if you're not an import fan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This had to be a cool feeling. This guy found the first Honda ever imported to the USA, s/n 1 at a swap meet. He restored it and gave it to a museum so people can see it themselves. Honda started the compact car revolution in the US, and see the first car in this revolution brought back to life is pretty cool.

There were some Honda S500 sportscars brought over years earlier. They were made 1963-1964 I believe . As far as starting the compact car revolution in the US, I would think the VW Beetle started it way before Honda. Beetles went in production in 1949. Good posting .

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember seeing them in the mid to late 70's the first few years after I started driving, and joking that they looked like a spare car that you'd keep in the trunk of your real car for emergencies like a flat tire.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There were some Honda S500 sportscars brought over years earlier. They were made 1963-1964 I believe . As far as starting the compact car revolution in the US, I would think the VW Beetle started it way before Honda. Beetles went in production in 1949. Good posting .

I know there were earlier imports, but nothing that sipped the gas like the N600. It had a mpg of over 50, the beetle only got about 25. And technically I don't believe the beetle was considered a sub-compact like the N600, it was just a compact.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think the mileage has anything to do with which make or model was here first. I agree that the Beetle was a compact car, that is why I said it was sold here long before the Honda and started the compact car revolution.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's another odd little car that I've always wanted. Lancia Stratos.
4b30cdbed1ac7c0158cb6f53862ff286.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom