copper bullion for prepper currency?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belthos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I've always wondered, since its illegal to melt down or deface these coins, how can all these little machines that smash pennies into shapes or with imprints be licensed by the state? The ones I'm talking about are the ones you pay a quarter to smash the penny, they have one at the OKC Western Heritage museum, the zoo...places like that.

I wondered too. I have wasted 8 quarters and pennies on those machines.

redneckgearhead

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't imagine copper being of any use to the general population in a eotwawki situation. Copper lead and brass are only going to be valuable to those that can turn the raw materials into useful items.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thought that I'd posted and/or asked this before. Guess I hit cancel instead.

If it is illegal to melt or deface US coins, then how can pre-64 silver coins be bought and sold based on "melt value".

OK, I know anything can be bought and sold for any reason, but...

If you legally can't melt down the silver coins, how can they actually be worth more than face value?

Dave

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thought that I'd posted and/or asked this before. Guess I hit cancel instead.

If it is illegal to melt or deface US coins, then how can pre-64 silver coins be bought and sold based on "melt value".

OK, I know anything can be bought and sold for any reason, but...

If you legally can't melt down the silver coins, how can they actually be worth more than face value?

Dave

Good question sir. I know that coin dealers melt down silver dollars that arent worth much more than melt value.

Latest posts

Top Bottom