Cost of Fertilizer and It's Impact

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Corn producers have gone soybean due to input cost.
Corn feeds everything that we eat that isn't a plant lol, and we're the number two exporter of soybeans........and nearly all of it is sold to China. There may be a lot of market changes and flip flops in the next few years with the craziness that's going on.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Corn feeds everything that we eat that isn't a plant lol, and we're the number two exporter of soybeans........and nearly all of it is sold to China. There may be a lot of market changes and flip flops in the next few years with the craziness that's going on.
I imagine you see.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish the wife would let me, and I could afford to set it up, I would raise some rabbits for meat and fertilizer.
rabbits are crazy efficient meat producers. chickens are up there also as feed converters. not sure of the two what is more efficient. pigs are up in the top also. i knew some ww2 german refugees that said rabbits were a staple to feed the people at the end of the war when there was so much famine.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
rabbits are crazy efficient meat producers. chickens are up there also as feed converters. not sure of the two what is more efficient. pigs are up in the top also. i knew some ww2 german refugees that said rabbits were a staple to feed the people at the end of the war when there was so much famine.
If only rabbits laid eggs. Production wise you don't need an incubator and there is the leather/ fur by product.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just spoke with my brother that is a farmer and branch manager of AgRx. He told me fertilizer and all other ag chems are already up about 100% and they have been notified by suppliers to expect up to a 200% increase in the coming months. Many of the smaller farms are not going to be putting in crops in his area as they will lose money. It does not take much of an education to deduce the impact on produce and meat prices that are coming this summer. We actually do feed the world and this will result in famines overseas and shortages here as well. He is advising folks to plant victory gardens and can their goods. I freeze dry most of my stuff that I put up. Also buy grains, beans, sugar, and honey in bulk now before the panic buying starts. A little each trip. Any thoughts?
Wheat, Corn, and Soybeans hit an all time high yesterday, there have been 2 fertilizer plants destroyed one in North Carolina and on in Washinton state, meanwhile Shearer Foofs in Oregon burned to the ground (all of this in the last 30 days). I am going to get some more rice, beans and spam today, I honestly don't believe any of this is by accident. Nothing the administration has done has been an accident the fact they have refused to increase domestic production should tell you something. Fuel is hitting all time highs and soon it will hit our gas and electric bills too. I would suggest Joe Dolio books if you are concerned about the coming months. I don’t think we make it to midterms personally. It takes 72 hours for our worid to turn upside down.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll continue with quail, I don't like rabbit. coturnix quail are mature at 8 weeks old and laying most of the time. There isn't really a breeding season like some animals. And they produce a lot of fertilizer. Require probably as much space as rabbits and they don't eat their young. Yes you have to incubate the eggs but 18 days later you have more quail.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Working in retail, mainly building materials, I can say that the supply chain is fubar at the moment. Its hit or mis on whats coming and what can even be ordered.

If the supply chain for food is anything like building materials we will indeed be in a world of hurt soon.

I keep looking for another horseman to ride across the sky, this one holding a set of scales.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wheat, Corn, and Soybeans hit an all time high yesterday, there have been 2 fertilizer plants destroyed one in North Carolina and on in Washinton state, meanwhile Shearer Foofs in Oregon burned to the ground (all of this in the last 30 days). I am going to get some more rice, beans and spam today, I honestly don't believe any of this is by accident. Nothing the administration has done has been an accident the fact they have refused to increase domestic production should tell you something. Fuel is hitting all time highs and soon it will hit our gas and electric bills too. I would suggest Joe Dolio books if you are concerned about the coming months. I don’t think we make it to midterms personally. It takes 72 hours for our worid to turn upside down.
and last year the oregon stopped the farmers from getting irrigation water. guess what they raised there??? fruits and veggies and a large share at that. the climate carbon crowd blames the low water level on climate change when in fact the problem is they are running the dam hydro electric above capacity to make up for the loss of coal and gas electricity.

Latest posts

Top Bottom