Cows and deer???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is the first time i have hunted a place with cows on it. Yesterday i was sitting in the thick stuff on the ground and i had a doe with a buck chasing her come through. About 15 minutes later I hear something else coming up right behind me and think its another deer. 2 minutes later I'm looking at a cow 2 yards from me. About 5 of them came through making a ton of noise, I stood up and they looked at me like I was crazy, I was in a ghillie suit. lol. Do these cows spook the deer or are the deer used to them and don't pay any attention to them? These cows are in there year round, somebody give me their experience with deer and cows. Thanks.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
not so fast fella's. my son and i were sitting in a tower together two seasons ago. it was opening day mz. my son had a shooter buck on his side. the two bucks were coming up behind a small oak thicket. there were cows on the opposite side of the thicket. as soon as the cows saw the bucks the group of six or seven cows ran to where the deer were. of course the deer ran off. the cows stood there swishing their tails while bellowing at the running deer.
i've had my lease for 12 years. there is a quarter that adjoins us with a pond. when the pond isn't dry, the landowner moves the cows there. the years we have cows in our hunting area. we see less deer and less quality deer. my theory is that while deer tolerate cows, they will simply go where cows aren't.
just my experience, ymmv

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hunted a cattle farm when I was much younger and the deer/cattle seemed to care less about each other. All depends on the disposition of the cows though.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
not so fast fella's. my son and i were sitting in a tower together two seasons ago. it was opening day mz. my son had a shooter buck on his side. the two bucks were coming up behind a small oak thicket. there were cows on the opposite side of the thicket. as soon as the cows saw the bucks the group of six or seven cows ran to where the deer were. of course the deer ran off. the cows stood there swishing their tails while bellowing at the running deer.
i've had my lease for 12 years. there is a quarter that adjoins us with a pond. when the pond isn't dry, the landowner moves the cows there. the years we have cows in our hunting area. we see less deer and less quality deer. my theory is that while deer tolerate cows, they will simply go where cows aren't.
just my experience, ymmv

Very interesting. I suppose if you have SOB's in your herd, it could pose a problem. My wife had a heifer when she was a teenager that would step on her just to be crappy. Apparently she tasted good though! LOL

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If it's a bunch of cow and calves, it's never been an issue. A heard of psychotic stocker calves will be as curious as a kitten, and seem to rush anything that moves......from deer, to skunks, porcupines, to humans.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would agree with the separate but tolerate crowd. I hunted for years on an active beef ranch and there were a lot of deer but seldom in the same place as the cattle. The biggest problem I had was the cattle associating humans with food and following me in droves. I had to dodge the cattle on my way to stands regardless of deer hunting strategy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom