Cows and deer???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ousoonerfan22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've hunted a place for almost thirty years with cows on both sides of the fence and the cows and deer don't pay any attention to each other. The only bad thing is sometimes when you walk in the pitch dark before daylight and the whole herd is bedded all around the tree you have your stand in.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you take a place that hasn't had cattle on it for 20 years and all grown up. It will always have more deer on it then the one with cattle on it. And have seen this time and time again. We would have a wheat field that deer would be tearing it up 20 or 30 head at a time. Put cattle on it and if there was a another wheat field close by with no cattle on it. The deer will move to it. I watch a black whiteface cow one evening stay at a pond for 2 hours and she would chase every deer off that came in to it to get a drink.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like cows, and I like deer. However, I don't want cattle on the same place where I deer hunt (at the same time). My experience is that the may not really "bother" the deer, but it never fails that whichever stand I decide to hunt is exactly where the cattle will be at that time.

I kind of have a problem brewing right now. We've had a lease place for several years that is also leased for cattle (to someone else), and the deal has always been for him to move the cattle by the middle of September. Well, the cattle are still on the place today. My son has talked to the guy a couple times (last week), and he's always got an excuse as to why he hasn't moved them. My Dad has been paying $1500/year for hunting rights and even let the cattle owner and his family hunt on the place when we're not there, and I've already talked to the land owner about continuing to lease it. First off, if my Dad was still alive, the cattle owner would have already moved the cattle. Second, if I was up there, he WOULD get the cattle moved, but he feels like he can "bluff" my 20 year old son. I guess I'm going to call the guy and nicely ask him to move the cattle.

Cattle have gotten back in (a time or two over the years) and eaten our corn and "rubbed" my camera around the tree (didn't break it though), and we have never complained. This year is what I feel like is just blatant disrespect to my family.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like cows, and I like deer. However, I don't want cattle on the same place where I deer hunt (at the same time). My experience is that the may not really "bother" the deer, but it never fails that whichever stand I decide to hunt is exactly where the cattle will be at that time.

I kind of have a problem brewing right now. We've had a lease place for several years that is also leased for cattle (to someone else), and the deal has always been for him to move the cattle by the middle of September. Well, the cattle are still on the place today. My son has talked to the guy a couple times (last week), and he's always got an excuse as to why he hasn't moved them. My Dad has been paying $1500/year for hunting rights and even let the cattle owner and his family hunt on the place when we're not there, and I've already talked to the land owner about continuing to lease it. First off, if my Dad was still alive, the cattle owner would have already moved the cattle. Second, if I was up there, he WOULD get the cattle moved, but he feels like he can "bluff" my 20 year old son. I guess I'm going to call the guy and nicely ask him to move the cattle.

Cattle have gotten back in (a time or two over the years) and eaten our corn and "rubbed" my camera around the tree (didn't break it though), and we have never complained. This year is what I feel like is just blatant disrespect to my family.

Sounds like he has seen the quality deer and wants the place for himself.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like he has seen the quality deer and wants the place for himself.

We own the place where I killed the buck this year, and the main reason we've kept leasing this other place is that it's right behind the house. I hunted it a couple times last year and walked around it looking for sheds in the spring, but I didn't hunted it this year. Like I said, we've let the farmer and his family hunt too, so I just don't know.

My Dad did killed a 150 class 8 point off that place a few years ago, and I've had a couple really nice bucks on camera (not as big as the ones I see on the river). I just don't know what to think, but I don't believe the guy would be doing this if my Dad was still here.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We own the place where I killed the buck this year, and the main reason we've kept leasing this other place is that it's right behind the house. I hunted it a couple times last year and walked around it looking for sheds in the spring, but I didn't hunted it this year. Like I said, we've let the farmer and his family hunt too, so I just don't know.

My Dad did killed a 150 class 8 point off that place a few years ago, and I've had a couple really nice bucks on camera (not as big as the ones I see on the river). I just don't know what to think, but I don't believe the guy would be doing this if my Dad was still here.

Maybe not. Some wheat pasture was on time, but a lot was later, so that could be part of the hold up on moving them.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He told my son he was waiting for a frost on some Johnson grass, and I know for a fact that there's been more than one frost up there. I'm really trying to play nice, but I don't like to be taken advantage of.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He told my son he was waiting for a frost on some Johnson grass, and I know for a fact that there's been more than one frost up there. I'm really trying to play nice, but I don't like to be taken advantage of.

Do you have a contract with the landowner?
If I understand correctly, you lease hunting rights from the land owner.
The cattle owner leases grazing rights from the same land owner.

If that is the case, your beef should start with the landowner, not the cattle owner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom