Cows and deer???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have a contract with the landowner?
If I understand correctly, you lease hunting rights from the land owner.
The cattle owner leases grazing rights from the same land owner.

If that is the case, your beef should start with the landowner, not the cattle owner.

You're right, and I probably should talk to the landowner. I'm just trying to be neighborly and get it worked out without getting the landowner involved, but it's getting harder.

My Dad has done the dealing in the past, and I'm sure there is no "contract". I will be paying the lease from now on, and I'm going to ask for some definite guidelines for next year.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our cows usually make the deer a little nervous if they're in close proximity to one another.

A few years ago there were two bucks fighting in the woods behind me that I couldn't see. Our bull walked several hundred yards up to the fence line looking in the direction of the noise. He stood there bellowing and moaning for quite awhile.

As an aside, our horses do a good job of spotting deer or coyotes. If they're standing gazing off in a direction chances are they've got something spotted.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
not so fast fella's. my son and i were sitting in a tower together two seasons ago. it was opening day mz. my son had a shooter buck on his side. the two bucks were coming up behind a small oak thicket. there were cows on the opposite side of the thicket. as soon as the cows saw the bucks the group of six or seven cows ran to where the deer were. of course the deer ran off. the cows stood there swishing their tails while bellowing at the running deer.
i've had my lease for 12 years. there is a quarter that adjoins us with a pond. when the pond isn't dry, the landowner moves the cows there. the years we have cows in our hunting area. we see less deer and less quality deer. my theory is that while deer tolerate cows, they will simply go where cows aren't.
just my experience, ymmv

I've seen this too. Couple of does coming into munch from the cow's feeder. The cows were having NONE of that, the deer went away on the run.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless his johnson grass is along the Red river, it's been brown for a couple weeks at least up here.
It's (mostly) brown enough to be brittle in Jackson county which is about as far south as you can get. I haven't heard anybody talking about prussic acid this year, and it's been drier down here than it has most places.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Cow pay more than deer hunters. But it sounds like oklahoma won't be to far along and it'll be like texas where it's more competitive. Y'all are gonna really ***** then.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I come down mostly on the cow side of the cow vs. deer issue, but if the man is paying for a cow free lease, then he should get what he's paying for.

Why don't you lease me some land ignerent? I got cows in Texas that hear the grass in the bend tastes like cake.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
90% of all the deer hunting I have done for over 30 years have involved deer and cattle sharing resources. Never have I seen cattle literally chase deer off, cause them to move out, etc. I laugh out loud when people bring it up. I have gotten pissed at staring at cattle below my stand and wish they would move along but I also remember shooting a deer within yards of a retrieverman's cousins bull who stood in near the plot with foot rot (told later I should have shot them both).

Few interesting pics from today's cam:

Deer and turkey living in harmony.
i1150.photobucket.com_albums_o603_justin_h635_IMAG01472_zpsb6f1ad22.jpg

Deer , turkey and cattle working out a pecking order as such but still, living in harmony.
i1150.photobucket.com_albums_o603_justin_h635_IMAG01812_zps40e57786.jpg

Deer, turkey and cattle still working out that pecking order-in harmony.
i1150.photobucket.com_albums_o603_justin_h635_IMAG01862_zps858ca335.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom