Crappie fishing from a bass boat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone buy a bass boat and then primarily use it to fish for other fish instead? I've seen the Trackers that have the "multi-species" setup (mainly seems to be seating options) vs the ones marketed as bass boats. It just got me thinking the disadvantages (if any) of fishing for catfish and crappie from a bass boat?

I do understand getting a good deal on a used boat trumps what kind of boat, so I was more thinking if you were buying a new boat or in search of a specific used boat what the thought process was for those who might still buy a bass boat even if they do 50/50 or less bass fishing (maybe even none).

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Tracker 175TXW, my first real boat. I fish for anything I can catch.
After a couple if years, if I'd known then I would have got a center console style. I would like having the taller sides, being old and my balance is not what it used to be, walking around on the casting deck is a bit shaky at times. I installed a couple of poles to help steady myself as I move around.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had several boats over the years from kayaks, canoes to full blown tournament bass boats. Several years ago I settled on an aluminum V hull as the best "fishing boat" for me. I had a Crestliner for 7 years, followed by a Lund For 16 years. Downsized and sold the Lund for what I paid for it new. My downsized boat is an Alumacraft. I fish for all species but target Smallmouth and Crappie with BFS gear.

Attachments

• 20230913_155603.jpg
    20230913_155603.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230913_142417.jpg
    20230913_142417.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230913_142343.jpg
    20230913_142343.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to have an 18' Ranger that I used to bass fish out of on Pomme de Terre in Missouri (only a 7 mile drive from my place to the Bolivar Landing). Once I got tired of the running and gunning I'd pull into the cafe at Lightfoot State Park and have some breakfast then buy a bucket of minnows and go back out to the crappie spots. I did get a lot of looks from the pontoon crew when I tied up to a tree and started dropping minnows on a bobber. Once I limited out (15 9" or better I believe it was back then) I head for home. I'd pull the boat through my side yard, out my back gate and up to my pond. The biggest ones went into the pond. The rest got cleaned, rolled in spicy yellow mustard and corn meal and fried up. I miss those days but the farm went to the ex in the divorce. Sigh.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of my neighbors up here on Grand lake have full blown bass boats that they Crappie fish and run jug lines out of. Of course they bass fish out of them too. If you love to fish, it really doesn't matter what your fishing out of.
I have a 2021 Ranger Tritoon. I Crappie fish, Catfish and bass fish out of mine all of the time. I love it.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's really about the seating / standing / comfort options you want for how you'll be fishing. I duck / deer hunt out of mine and fish for crappie, bass, walleye, etc from the same boat. An allweld semi-v does pretty well on the smaller waters i frequent. If i hit the texoma or Eufaula type lakes, I'd want a deeper hull. Customizing the boat is a lot easier with metal (aluminum) than with fiberglass.

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 21 foot Cobra tournament bass boat dual console with a souped up Mercury 300 hp Pro Max that l fished for anything in the water with. Didn't bother me a bit about the funny looks l got because when it was go time l was gone while they puttered along. Damn 42 gallon gas tank sure got empty quick with the hammer down

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've fished for every species of freshwater fish from a 14' lund, 24' pontoon, 18' Ranger bass boat with a 200hp modified rocket ship to the aluminum 19' Bass Tracker I have now.
The fish don't have a clue what your fishing from.
Like Chuter, I'd like to have a center console boat now. You can fish 360 degrees around it with higher sides. I fish a lot alone in mid-winter cold waters. Fall in and your dead. Even if you can get back onboard, your dead unless there are dry clothes available and maybe a space blanket. If the air temps are close to freezing and cloudy, your dead. Great reason to look for a center console and sell my Tracker.

Latest posts

Top Bottom