Crappie fishing from a bass boat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You one of them weirdos that buys a deer rifle and then hunts hogs and coyotes with it?

I thought I wanted a pontoon. Son got one and I decided it didn't fit what I needed.
Looked for a center-console, but never found what I wanted.
Accidentally, stumbled across a Nitro Z-17 and it hit my fancy. Does exactly what I want and still surprises me how different from my original search, it is.

Attachments

• 20230414_155848.jpg
    20230414_155848.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230506_130127.jpg
    20230506_130127.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230506_130206.jpg
    20230506_130206.jpg
    857 KB · Views: 0

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You one of them weirdos that buys a deer rifle and then hunts hogs and coyotes with it?

I thought I wanted a pontoon. Son got one and I decided it didn't fit what I needed.
Looked for a center-console, but never found what I wanted.
Accidentally, stumbled across a Nitro Z-17 and it hit my fancy. Does exactly what I want and still surprises me how different from my original search, it is.
Is that a deep V?

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've fished for every species of freshwater fish from a 14' lund, 24' pontoon, 18' Ranger bass boat with a 200hp modified rocket ship to the aluminum 19' Bass Tracker I have now.
The fish don't have a clue what your fishing from.
Like Chuter, I'd like to have a center console boat now. You can fish 360 degrees around it with higher sides. I fish a lot alone in mid-winter cold waters. Fall in and your dead. Even if you can get back onboard, your dead unless there are dry clothes available and maybe a space blanket. If the air temps are close to freezing and cloudy, your dead. Great reason to look for a center console and sell my Tracker.
When I look at the trackers, the center console boats have decent side height but they still have decks that don't have much of a lip. This doesn't look much different from a regular mod-v tracker bass boat except for the size of the decks? Even the Classic XL has decent sides in the passenger area.

I wonder if anyone makes an aluminum center console boat that is a shallow draft but still has a lower deck up front?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 21 foot Cobra tournament bass boat dual console with a souped up Mercury 300 hp Pro Max that l fished for anything in the water with. Didn't bother me a bit about the funny looks l got because when it was go time l was gone while they puttered along. Damn 42 gallon gas tank sure got empty quick with the hammer down
Yep! I'm in a 21' Allison XB-21 2+2 Tournament Elite with a Merc Racing 250XS. As far as I know it's the only 4 seat bass boat on the market? I have no idea how fast it will top out at yet, but I've had it to 81mph with two people and a full load of equipment.

Saturday we went out with a friend of mine and his wife. Did low-60's to our favorite spot, dropped the Power Poles and trolled for 2.5-2.75mph for the next 5 hours on the big engine. We caught crappie, largemouth, hybrid stripers and others, losing count but somewhere around 25-30 fish total. Did mid to upper 60's back to the dock and all in, used 2.5 gallons of 87 octane gas. An efficient boat is an economical boat! :)

We can pitch & wind in the stumps, troll open water for roving schools (I've installed removable rod holders in the side wells), anchor or spot-lock and Livescope for crappie. Over the winter I'm going to build a removable spider rig for slow-trolling crappie and when the heat hits next summer, I may install a high speed bimini top to extend our time on the water. The Allison has a great holeshot and handles like it's on rails, so we could use it for watersports, we just aren't into that.

To me a bass boat is not the perfect boat because there's no such thing. They're just the next best thing if you want to do pretty much any kind of fishing you can do on Oklahoma type lakes. :)

Obligatory pics:

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 0

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is that a deep V?
No, it is deeper than bass boat, but not a true deep V.

It is a fish & ski. 5 seats. Bimini top. Added rod holders. 2 Lowrance and trolling motor. 150 Merc, no idea what size gas tank is. Tank full when I left dealer in April. Haven't bought gas, yet. Extremely efficient.

I concur, no perfect boat, but this one fits what I need.

Last edited:

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am using a 17' Lund, which is a deep V aluminum, with a 115 Johnson and will run around 38 mph. It is set up for drifting or trolling with 6 rod holders. Perfect for me for crappie or catfish plus trolling for hybrids. It's fuel efficient and does everything I want.

Latest posts

Top Bottom