Crappie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to try to take the family again on Sat. Either Dirtybird or maybe Wes Watkins.

Crappie from the bank/piers doable right now?

(I grew up fishing for brook trout and know zip about crappie)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to try to take the family again on Sat. Either Dirtybird or maybe Wes Watkins.

Crappie from the bank/piers doable right now?

(I grew up fishing for brook trout and know zip about crappie)
this is the golden time for crappie. They spawn in 12-24" of water. Their preferred bedding areas are gravel bars or rocky banks.

Don't sit in one place and wait for them to come to you. Keep moving and hunt them. one little tree stob sticking up can produce lots of fish. Google the wildlifedepartment.com and look for the areas where they have put in structure that holds crappie. That's what we did.

Windy banks can be as good as calm banks of rocky areas. Minnows work some days, jigs the other. Don't be afraid to change colors of jig body's. Yesterday, we would catch 3-4 on one color, and change, catch another 3-4 and change again. Sparkly white, Chartruse, Blue/white, Blue chartruse, etc.
There is no bad color during spawn.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Dennis. My oldest has had some luck on our trout outings but the youngest too are getting frustrated because they don't catch anything (because they have a dad who knows zip about fishing out here!). Here's hoping tomorrow will turn it around.

As far as Thunderbird goes...Anyone know the deal with the Post Oak area? Is it closed/off-limits or just closed to vehicle access? We went in there a couple weeks ago and the vehicle gate was locked.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spawn is getting ready to start on Grand. Last week or so, Big Black crappie are nailing jigs in 2 to 4' of water. Usually from 5pm till dusk. Went to a fish fry Wed evening and another is scheduled for tomorrow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom