Crow season opens Oct. 10th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesn’t that bring in more crows?
Where I hunt at, more often than not, no. Biggest reason is because they scatter to parts unknown after they see one of their buddies get shot.

Hunting in or around a pecan orchard is totally different. As long as you are hiding well and the crows don't see you, they just keep coming back!

I hunted a couple of big pecan orchards last year, and on one of them, the land owner said it had been over 10 years since anyone had hunted there, and on my first outing, I killed 52 crows that day! When the crows would leave for a little bit, I would gather up the dead birds and prop them up with a small forked stick and use them for decoys. I would get set back up again, start calling and here they came. I would kill more birds, then set those birds up as decoys, and did that all afternoon.

I kept all of those dead crows in the freezer for a week, then when I went to a different pecan orchard, I put all of crows out as decoys, start calling, and here the came, from all different directions. Wing shooting at it's finest!

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told years ago that Mexico didn’t have a season on ducks and the only way they would put one in place was if the US put a season on crows no idea if that is true or not
Never heard that before, but I have killed ducks in Mexico and it was a LOT of fun and a LOT of shooting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never figured out WHY there is a crow season to begin with as a kid back in the day we shot them year round.
It's because of the migratory bird act that the US entered with along with Canada in 1916, Mexico in 1936, Japan in 1932, and Russia in 1976.
Widespread poaching was the norm at the time.
The crow regulation probably needs revisited.
We used to smoke barrels around Ft Cobb back in the late 70's with the county putting dumpsters at every mile section for the carcasses. That roost doesn't exist anymore.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's because of the migratory bird act that the US entered with along with Canada in 1916, Mexico in 1936, Japan in 1932, and Russia in 1976.
Widespread poaching was the norm at the time.
The crow regulation probably needs revisited.
We used to smoke barrels around Ft Cobb back in the late 70's with the county putting dumpsters at every mile section for the carcasses. That roost doesn't exist anymore.

Mr. Hoddy,

what happened to all those crows out at Ft. Cobb? Was the vast majority killed, diseases, did they move elsewhere or what?

I remember back in the day, reading stories in several of the outdoor rags about the literal millions and millions of crows that roosted there at Ft. Cobb.

I said many times that I would like to have gone there just to see how many crows I could shoot, test different loads and such, but as often happens, life just got in the way and I never got to go there...

Latest posts

Top Bottom