Curious about Handloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you take a handloading seminar?

• yes

Votes: 50 74.6%
  • no

Votes: 17 25.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Admittedly, I haven't read all of everybody's posts, but thinking out of the box here (trying for your good, NOT to rain on your parade)... the liabilities of this should be addressed since the nature of the subject can potentially be deadly.

It would be one thing if you were doing it for free... but if you're charging people, I would be afraid some yahoo would blow up his gun and hurt himself in the process and somehow try to blame it on poor training.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Admittedly, I haven't read all of everybody's posts, but thinking out of the box here (trying for your good, NOT to rain on your parade)... the liabilities of this should be addressed since the nature of the subject can potentially be deadly.

It would be one thing if you were doing it for free... but if you're charging people, I would be afraid some yahoo would blow up his gun and hurt himself in the process and somehow try to blame it on poor training.

True...

But a terrible statement about the values of our society today regarding personal responsibility.

One wonders just how many businesses never got started because of this.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True...

But a terrible statement about the values of our society today regarding personal responsibility.

One wonders just how many businesses never got started because of this.

Well, again, I'm not trying to rain on his parade, it's just something that is worth pointing out. I don't want to see any business fail or not get started but somewhere, some idiot is just waiting to take this class... blow his pistol up... blow his finger off, then sue like crazy.

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Your statement leads me to believe we should not have NRA instructors for anything....

I see you charge for gun cleaning are you not afraid of your liability there?

I am sure there is some yahoo waiting to blow himself up on a gun you have cleaned and there attorney will say you used too much oil creating excessive chamber pressures or reassembled the firearm wrong and blame you....

Are you a licensed gunsmith? Are qualified to work on every firearm you clean? Have you been through each manufacturers factory training? Do you carry liability insurance?

These are things we all unfortunately have to address in todays society, it is not right but these are things one has to think about even when just trying to educate people....

You admittedly said you did not read all of the posts.... so let me summarize quickly We have carried an FFL/ATF licenses for loading commercially since 1969.... we have loaded for over thirty years commercially for just about all of the ammunition manufactures at one time or another.... We have never had an incident.... Not to mention many sheriffs offices, and private contractors.... never an incident....My adopted father was the only factory rep for TC firearms for about thirty years in the southern United states qualified for warranty and repair work...

We also have insurance and a really good attorney on permanent retainer for this venture and our commercial loading business we have, but this was not the issue nor the question asked here....

The question was just whether or not there was an interest in the class????

Rocketguns

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to see a course on loading both wildcat and exotic rounds. Things like .357 herrett (case forming and load data when current data is no longer available) and casting and loading using paper patched bullets.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your statement leads me to believe we should not have NRA instructors for anything....

I see you charge for gun cleaning are you not afraid of your liability there?

I am sure there is some yahoo waiting to blow himself up on a gun you have cleaned and there attorney will say you used too much oil creating excessive chamber pressures or reassembled the firearm wrong and blame you....

Are you a licensed gunsmith? Are qualified to work on every firearm you clean? Have you been through each manufacturers factory training? Do you carry liability insurance?

These are things we all unfortunately have to address in todays society, it is not right but these are things one has to think about even when just trying to educate people....

You admittedly said you did not read all of the posts.... so let me summarize quickly We carried an FFL/ATF licenses for loading commercially since 1969.... we have loaded for over thirty years commercially for just about all of the ammunition manufactures at one time or another.... We have never had an incident.... Not to mention many sheriffs offices, and private contractors.... never an incident....My adopted father was the only factory rep for TC firearms for about thirty years in the southern United states qualified for warranty and repair work...

We also have insurance and a really good attorney on permanent retainer for this venture and our commercial loading business we have, but this was not the issue nor the question asked here....

The question was just whether or not there was an interest in the class????

No, you asked for "feedback" along with "interest" (which seems to be just a ploy to advertise it in the general discussion forum since we have an entire forum devoted to reloading). I gave you feedback. In no way was I trying to piss in your post toasties, but rather offer you valid business advice so you can succeed without losing your shirt cause some somebody tries to blame you for something that they did.

I did in fact read all of your posts, and you stated that your adopted father HAD his FFL, not that he still does, and not that YOU ever did.

I may not be bringing money in hand over fist, but my reputation for cleaning speaks for itself. However, even though I do well figuring stuff out on my own, I willfully accept advice given by members of this site that offer the advice in order to help... such as OlYeller, ShootSumm, Keelty, Positive Discontent, Barry Greyson, JB, Shoot4Fun, GlockEmDown, LPD, Mitch (J&K) and MANY other members of this site. What I don't do is act like a jack-hole for offering advice, especially when I ask for "feedback". But, this discussion isn't about me and my ventures, but if you have any questions as to my qualifications and the work I produce, please, follow my feedback thread and talk to them. Do I have an FFL? Nope... don't need one.

NRA instructors have FORMAL educations, AND the backing of who? The NRA.

Again, sorry that you twisted what I said into some sort of attack against you, but it wasn't meant that way at all, I can assure you of that. But since you took it that way and addressed it publicly, I will extend the same courtesy to you.

I truly wish you the best, but if you think you've covered every single base there is to cover, you're wrong... and when a business leader thinks they can learn nothing new, they fail. Listen to your peers, especially the ones that want to see success.
So please give me some feedback, I am not truing to get rich, I am just trying to fill up all this down time I have....

let me know,
kev

Finally, since you're in the OKC area, if this gets off the ground, you should talk to Mitch with J&K as I would be willing to bet that he would work something out with you and your students.

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, you asked for "feedback" along with "interest" (which seems to be just a ploy to advertise it in the general discussion forum since we have an entire forum devoted to reloading). I gave you feedback. In no way was I trying to piss in your post toasties, but rather offer you valid business advice so you can succeed without losing your shirt cause some somebody tries to blame you for something that they did.

I did in fact read all of your posts, and you stated that your adopted father HAD his FFL, not that he still does, and not that YOU ever did.

I may not be bringing money in hand over fist, but my reputation for cleaning speaks for itself. However, even though I do well figuring stuff out on my own, I willfully accept advice given by members of this site that offer the advice in order to help... such as OlYeller, ShootSumm, Keelty, Positive Discontent, Barry Greyson, JB, Shoot4Fun, GlockEmDown, LPD, Mitch (J&K) and MANY other members of this site. What I don't do is act like a jack-hole for offering advice, especially when I ask for "feedback". But, this discussion isn't about me and my ventures, but if you have any questions as to my qualifications and the work I produce, please, follow my feedback thread and talk to them. Do I have an FFL? Nope... don't need one.

NRA instructors have FORMAL educations, AND the backing of who? The NRA.

Again, sorry that you twisted what I said into some sort of attack against you, but it wasn't meant that way at all, I can assure you of that. But since you took it that way and addressed it publicly, I will extend the same courtesy to you.

I truly wish you the best, but if you think you've covered every single base there is to cover, you're wrong... and when a business leader thinks they can learn nothing new, they fail. Listen to your peers, especially the ones that want to see success.

Finally, since you're in the OKC area, if this gets off the ground, you should talk to Mitch with J&K as I would be willing to bet that he would work something out with you and your students.

Dang I was not trying to be a jack off and I apologize if I came off that way, I re-read my post and it was a bit abrasive.... I was in no way saying you work was inferior or anything I was using your cleaning as an example of the crap anyone can pull....

I am not trying to advertise this at all I was just looking for interest in a basic loading course....

Our FFL's are currently in place for our commercial loading business (which has been in business since 1957) but we do not need them to teach a basic loading class anyway....

Our outline of class curriculum is going to Dillon, Hornady, Lee Precision, and Lyman for approval and their blessings since we have worked with them for years, just to make sure there is something we are not forgetting.... All have all ready agreed to offer discounted supplies, and support for these classes.

I am in the process of securing discounts for students for components, like Sierra, Barnes, starline, Remington UMC, Winchester, etc....

The local vo-tech approached us about doing a class on loading but I did not want to teach three nights week for 8 weeks....

I am getting ready to take the 6 hour NRA course to be an NRA instructor....

I have bought from Mitch in the past for my personal loading and have bought for years from the gentleman Mitch bought his business from.... Mitch is a great guy....

Latest posts

Top Bottom