Cut myself with a chainsaw......wanna see

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kozmos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow! I wish you a speedy recovery. You now have the right equipment, I applaud you for doing that. I'm on a chainsaw crew for a disaster relief organization and chaps (complete coverage including ankles), forestry helmet, gloves and steel toe boots are required. I've seen very few injuries and none on our crew. Accidents will happen but the more you can do to limit the damage the better. I hadn't run a saw until 2 years ago and absolutely love the work now even though I'm not happy to get the call. Running a monster Stihl 660 is an incredible rush and workout all at the same time!

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did the same thing except my injury was vertical below the knee on the front of my leg. It's kind of surreal to see the spinning chain falling toward your leg and not be able to do anything about it.

The funny thing is it never really hurt very bad. The ear infection I had a couple of weeks ago was ten times worse.

Bryan

Shifty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pour some alcohol on that.

My dad used to cut firewood for a living when I was small. One day he was cutting and hit something in the tree, the saw jumped out and across his thigh. My mom came home to him sitting on the edge of the bathtub shaking as he poured alcohol in it, and never went to the doc about it. Ask him about it and all he says is "never got sore."

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i've done the exact same thing, except the chain was idling and not running full speed thank god, i got a chain width cut about an inch long and 1/8th in deep on my kneecap from it and the scar to prove it happened

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
chainsaw nut here... run everything from a Stihl 84 (120cc) to Stihl MS200T (top handle saw)

my favorite is a Stihl 046 .... for protection ... highly recommend Labonville 10ply competition chaps http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=406

[Broken External Image]

most chaps will only reduce damage from chainsaws... these 10ply chaps will stop chainsaw chains running at full bore (see link below) with no injury. no protection will be 100% effective, but these 10ply Labonville chaps offer the max protection available.

here's a link to Madsens a Pro Saw shop that did cut tests on chaps stuffed with hams. http://www.madsens1.com/chaps.htm

along with chaps a good hard hat with ear muffs to prevent hearing loss. then kevlar gloves and a Stihl chainsaw protective shirt ... if I'm doing really hazardous like taking down storm damaged trees partially down.

here's a chart that shows where chainsaw injuries occur. the most dangerous areas will be protected by chaps. note the large number of injuries to the left hand. this is why I wear kevlar gloves.

kickback can come back at you much faster and stronger than most realize. one needs to operate saw with body off-set to chainsaw and avoid using top front of bar near tip.

amedia.popularmechanics.com_images_chain_saw_accidents_L_1008.jpg

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad used to cut firewood for a living when I was small. One day he was cutting and hit something in the tree, the saw jumped out and across his thigh. My mom came home to him sitting on the edge of the bathtub shaking as he poured alcohol in it, and never went to the doc about it. Ask him about it and all he says is "never got sore."

Sounds too much like my own dad. He was working on a car on a lift with his arm buried all the way up to his elbow. He pulled his arm back out quick and caught it on a piece of sharp sheet metal. It dug in and sliced his arm open about 4-5" long. He looked at it, wiped it off, then called the parts store and ordered some super glue. He glued it shut and went back to work... :screwy:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The craziest I've done with a chainsaw. We had an elm tree in our front yard that was dead and rotting. So I climbed around in it with the chainsaw cutting out the biggest limbs.

ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_tongueouttree.jpg

My brother got this pic as one of the limbs was falling.
ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_treefalling.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom