Cutting A2 gas block down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backspur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ImplodedMindZ - Is there a particlar reason you don't have your sights moved all the way out to the end of the rail and receiver? It looks like you could gain a couple inches of sight radius if you moved them outboard.

ImplodedMindZ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well the other night when i was getting everything isntalled on the gun i was having a hard time looking down the sights w/ them all they way out w/ the stock collapsed and the rear sight not becoming to blurry to get a good sight picture. I just moved the sights back out and it doesnt seem as bad. And if i flip it to the long range aperture w/ the stock collapsed it is also a little easier to see. If anyone has any tips advice lemme know. Im by no means an expert when it comes to shooting rifles.

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put a YHM Diamond rifle length on my 16" middy. I cut down the A2 fsb that was on the rifle. I used a cutting blade on a dremel to make the rough cuts, then a grinding blade to smooth down the edges.

This is exactly what I did for a friends rifle with the sam ehandguard LOL

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well the other night when i was getting everything isntalled on the gun i was having a hard time looking down the sights w/ them all they way out w/ the stock collapsed and the rear sight not becoming to blurry to get a good sight picture. I just moved the sights back out and it doesnt seem as bad. And if i flip it to the long range aperture w/ the stock collapsed it is also a little easier to see. If anyone has any tips advice lemme know. Im by no means an expert when it comes to shooting rifles.

With aperture sights, the rear sight (the aperture) is supposed to be blurry. You're not even supposed to know it's there. The closer to your eye it is, the better. That's why that type of sight is quicker to line up -- its so intuitive. Your eye will naturally seek to put the front post in the point of greatest light, which is the middle of the aperture. And yes, your front sight should generally be as far forward as you can get it. It is easier to get and keep proper sight alignment when you have a longer sight radius.

Get those sights set up right, shoot some groups to find out how many MOA your clicks end up being with that placement, figure out how many MOA wide your front sight is (for rangefinding), and leave 'em! And write all that stuff down!

BTW, the best way to shoot with an AR is to set up your stock length so that your nose touches the charging handle when your neck is stretched all the way forward. You can get a "cheek weld" as well as a "nose weld" for more consistency. And don't forget to focus your eye on the front sight!

Bring that rifle to an Appleseed marksmanship clinic, and you will learn all this and much more. You'll learn everything you need to know to be able to use it effectively out to 500 yards. We've got one coming up in Afton on September 18-19, and in El Reno on October 9-10. See my sig for links.

Latest posts

Top Bottom