Cutting A2 gas block down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImplodedMindZ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So first off i am lookin to install a rifle length handguard on a carbine length rifle. So I thought i read somewhere that you could cut down an A2 gas block/front sight to turn it into a low profile option instead of forkin out 40-70$ for one. Anyone know anything about it?

Now I just need to find one, I was an idiot and cleaned out my closet and can't find it anymore. If anyone has one laying around they wouldn't mind partin with for a few $ I would apreiate that too.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes you can cut the tower off with a hack saw, round it off with a file and use soome cold blue and your done, works great! I don't have an A2 sight but I do have pleanty of rifle length handguards if you need them. Kurt

ImplodedMindZ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great thanks for the link FAL. I had a 4 railed gas block put on that rifle a long time ago and when I got the A2 sight back I Have either misplaced it or thrown I away so I don't have it anymore that's why I'm looking for one too. Kurt I do t suppose you have any YHM Diamond Free Float Handguard or sumthing similar? That's the one I'm looking at.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I put a YHM Diamond rifle length on my 16" middy. I cut down the A2 fsb that was on the rifle. I used a cutting blade on a dremel to make the rough cuts, then a grinding blade to smooth down the edges.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am going to do something similar when I put my upper together, except I'm doing it with a free float tube over a midlentgh gas system. You might look at the Troy TRX Extreme 13" free float rail. You can get them for $165 or so online.

Its a pretty nifty FF tube... You can use rails just where you need them to save weight. It also gets the front sight way out there where it's supposed to be, instead of halfway up the barrel. The price is right, too.

ImplodedMindZ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am going to do something similar when I put my upper together, except I'm doing it with a free float tube over a midlentgh gas system. You might look at the Troy TRX Extreme 13" free float rail. You can get them for $165 or so online.

Its a pretty nifty FF tube... You can use rails just where you need them to save weight. It also gets the front sight way out there where it's supposed to be, instead of halfway up the barrel. The price is right, too.

Thanks alot for the suggestion I ended up gettin the TRX extreme 13" for 160$. Nice handguard system, got a set of Magpul MBUS sights, and a Troy Medieval Muzzle Brake, some good improvements over what I have now.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are my two Troy TRX Extreme 13".

[Broken External Image]

The top rifle now has a CTR stock and a TA44SR-10 ACOG on a LaRue dos-mini mount (on it's way) and the bottom rifle now has a TR24G AccuPoint in a LaRue SPR-E.

I really love the Troy TRX Extreme.

Henschmen, I've got my black/tan rifle here in Stillwater with me if you want to handle it with the Troy rail. I don't have my new ACOG yet, maybe by the end of the week it should be here. If you have a place to shoot I'll let you put some down range with it anytime.

ImplodedMindZ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well here it is. I ended up not bothering w/ a cut down gasblock but said i would throw some pictures up anyways. I got some a set of Magpul BUIS, troy Medieval Muzzle Brake, and a just a low profile gas block. Big thanks to Jeffsoward who let me come over and helped me out takin the barrel nut off (which i may say was really on there)and putting it all back together. Great guy. And i think he convinced me into gettin a Magpul AFG instead of the folding forward grip i have now. Thanks again Jeff!

ai133.photobucket.com_albums_q49_ImplodedMindZ_DSCN1445.jpg

ai133.photobucket.com_albums_q49_ImplodedMindZ_DSCN1444.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom