D-Day......June 6, 1944.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My family has told me my whole life that the man being dragged onto the beach was my Great Uncle Silas (cannot verify it is him but we were told he was not a good swimmer). Either way, I never met him, but I do have memories of his wife.
B711ADD7-9BE2-453E-B875-084714FDD9B7.jpeg

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I learned a few things today watching bits and pieces of that Story TV channel about D Day.

Omaha Beach was a slaughter field. The navy destroyers were told it was too dangerous to get any closer to the beach due to the shallow bottom. It took the navy destroyers to disobey that order and get closer to the shore for direct fire to suppress the murderous German fire killing the troops on Omaha. The direct fire allowed our guys to climb the cliffs and eventually envelope the Germans by outflanking them.

One man was a landing craft Higgins Boat driver. He said he let the ramp down and 14 men were instantly killed by German machine gun fire.

1686183245249.png

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I learned a few things today watching bits and pieces of that Story TV channel about D Day.

Omaha Beach was a slaughter field. The navy destroyers were told it was too dangerous to get any closer to the beach due to the shallow bottom. It took the navy destroyers to disobey that order and get closer to the shore for direct fire to suppress the murderous German fire killing the troops on Omaha. The direct fire allowed our guys to climb the cliffs and eventually envelope the Germans by outflanking them.

One man was a landing craft Higgins Boat driver. He said he let the ramp down and 14 men were instantly killed by German machine gun fire.

View attachment 383170

Bloody Omaha.

It was a killing field.

Very sobering to read about it from first hand accounts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom