Damn pests...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like you trapping program is working pretty good. They have been on the corn from your feeder for awhile, so you will probably have some tasty pork chops.

hahah I don't think any of these are going to make it to the smoker or anything. Probably just get a bullet behind the ear and pile them up for the coyotes.

Caught three more this morning, two little boars and one gilt. I had to check the trap pretty early so I could get to work, so it was about 6 am when I got there. There were 4 more pigs just standing outside the trap, laughing at their buddies. They just slowly mosied off, so maybe they'll get their turn tonight.

[Broken External Image]

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
hahah I don't think any of these are going to make it to the smoker or anything. Probably just get a bullet behind the ear and pile them up for the coyotes.

Caught three more this morning, two little boars and one gilt. I had to check the trap pretty early so I could get to work, so it was about 6 am when I got there. There were 4 more pigs just standing outside the trap, laughing at their buddies. They just slowly mosied off, so maybe they'll get their turn tonight.

In reality the hogs in the area will eat them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Roosta knows that. The best bait for a trap in the winter is protein such as a ripe roadkill or fresh guts. I have had gut piles disappear in 2 hours on my Farm at Antlers. Roosta7 is very knowledgeable and efficient on pig control. He is a fine person in my books, a man of his word, and I enjoy his company.
I hope this mornings report will be that he trapped some more. One herd had around 14 in it and with any luck he will remove that entire bunch from the gene pool. Atta Boy!!

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, but apparently my streak ended this morning, as there were no potential takers last night. Lot of activity in the pasture yesterday though, they cut all the hay, then we came in with the gooseneck and loaded everything in the catch pen except for one little gilt left in there for bait. We gave the rest of the pigs a ride and found them good homes.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I built the catch pen, but not the trap. Trap is just your basic hog trap, square tubing and 4" square panels. Door is hinged on top with bungee cords for the closing mechanism. There is a small cable about a foot from the back of the trap secured to the bottom of the trap, running straight up to a pulley then over to the latch on the door... if that makes sense. I just pour corn around the cable at the back of the trap and then they just have to bump the cable to shut the door. The trap should actually be longer than what it is to catch more pigs in one night. I've had 5 in there before and it is damn near standing room only, especially if a couple of them are of any size.

The catch pen is just a good ol boy special. They are HEAVY rebar panels we had around creek feeders, just wired together, a few tposts, and that's it. The setup works perfectly. I can slide a trap full of pigs around and butt it up next to the catch pen, open the slide gate on the catch pen and the door on the trap and they run right in. Close the gate and rebait. No danger of them escaping, simple but effective.

Here are the ones I caught this morning.... one decent boar and a little smoker size gilt.

[Broken External Image]

Cr1ttergetr

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hello all new member! I was searching places to hunt hogs in Oklahoma and found this forum. Members seem very active and helpful, so I look forward to chatting and sharing my point-of-view and information with you.

First off I need to say that I am currently deployed in Iraq and have not got to hunt for the last year. Unfortunately, when I get back to Fort Riley, KS I will be PCSing shortly thereafter. So, I am going to miss deer season this year because Arizona is on a draw system for everything.

Yeah, I know, poor me! Well, I have a plan to fix all that. Hopefully you can help. I have a few friends deployed with me that are also itching to pull the trigger on a hog or two and it would be greatly appreciated if someone could point us in a good direction (Public Hunting access or private land - if landowner has a nuisance problem they need taken care of). We won't be getting back until roughly the first week in August and will be able to come down during the weekends. If anyone knows of some decent areas that are worth the trip please let me know.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Allout- I quoted verbatim the reg on silencers. The 2010 -11 regs are not out to the public yet, but check the last set of regs and you will see I am right. Read all of the regs on hog hunting for a complete and thorough understanding of do's and don'ts.
I think a whole bunch of eyes just got opened

Dont forget to read Page 3 (very bottom) of the 09-10 regs. "This booklet is a summary...It is not a legal document."

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got four more this morning. One boar that was about 175, one smaller boar and two gilts. I am pretty sure that the little red gilt in the catch pen isn't going to be a gilt much longer, she appears to be in heat. I noticed one of the boars yesterday birddoggin her pretty good. As soon as I loaded the big boar from the trap into the catch pen this morning, he headed straight to her and just went to town! After he got some lovin, the other big boar in there didn't seem to like him gettin on his ol lady and then they went to fightin... fightin so hard I was a little nervous if the pen could take that kind of punishment. They went at it a few minutes, then after a good ass whoopin, the smaller one went to the corner to lick his wounds. It was a good show.

I don't seem to be running out of pigs yet. There was about a 200 lb boar standing at the pen when I pulled up, he's the one I really want. He had big ol high broad shoulders and a low skinny ass on him, more of the razorback look to him than any of the other ones I have trapped in this spot. He looked at me, kinda barked a couple of times like I was interrupting whatever it was he was doin, ran a few feet, stood broad side for a while, then trotted off down in the creek. He'll be back though I hope. I am guessing he is one of the more dominant pigs in the herd and if there is one in heat, he'll come back around. And I have yet to catch a breeding sow in this spot, which I find a bit peculiar. All these pigs are coming from someplace, so I know there are some mommas out there, but so far it has been a sausage fest in the trap... so to speak. haha

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom