"De-horning" a 1911?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

texasmoon

I have a 1911 that I carry every day. I was wondering if anyone had de-horned their's and if it was worth the money. I like the look, but have never really known anyone that has had it done to their personal gun. Thanks!

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know if "it's worth the money", but I did it on one of my .45 builds. Results were fantastic after blueing. I used a small fine file and did it in my spare time.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here you go...

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/meltdown.htm

i977.photobucket.com_albums_ae259_zdadthrice_Pistolas_ClarkMeltdownColt1991A1Compact.jpg

T

texasmoon

I checked the link and it seems that Clark no longer applies their process to customer supplied guns. But, Mr357Sig, that is one fine looking firearm!

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is an EXTREME dehorn. While the work looks really good for what they've done... I think that much of a dehorn makes the gun look like a sloppy turd.

A light dehorn is good for asthetics and is functional as well. Well worth the time and money involved.

FWIW, I don't use a file though.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't care for the melted down look. I prefer a de-horn and line straightening that maintains the classic appearance of the 1911. Its worth spending the money if it is a gun you intend to carry or shoot often because the gun will be more comfortable to carry and shoot for sustained periods of time. Basically, its right up there with useable sights and a clean breaking trigger job in my opinion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom