"De-horning" a 1911?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here you go...

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/meltdown.htm

i977.photobucket.com_albums_ae259_zdadthrice_Pistolas_ClarkMeltdownColt1991A1Compact.jpg

That's just gorgeous. I remember when they used to charge like $400 for a meltdown.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Traxxis.....if you don't use a file, what do you use? I use a small super fine file that broke the edge just fine.

Superfine, 4" (or is it 3"?), steady hand and good eyes. I'm breaking the edges though... nothing like the Clark gun.

http://www.staples.com/Scotch-Brite...Wire_Brushes_/_Grinders:714935:40504801105132

That's just gorgeous. I remember when they used to charge like $400 for a meltdown.

The work is fantastic... but I just can't get over the wet-turd look.

BTW, do you still want a Boehler gun?

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've considered having my TRP smoothed out. Ill cut my fingertips every time I tap rack or reload.

I've seen moderate smoothing that looked awesome. Can't find the pictures now. It was just enough to round the edges. Not even close to extreme.

It all depends on owner preference.

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I like to. My Kimber has a carry melt and It's comfortable with no sharp edges. I have a stainless TRP (wish it was a blued one) but the only thing that is changed on it are VZ grips. I would like to have a Damascus slide done for it and leave it like that... BTW, nice Steve... get some G10 grips though :)

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Clark gun is well executed and has a really nice finish on it. But I'm with Traxxis, it does look like a wet turd. Shoot Summ's gun looks OK even though it is a pretty radical melt too. The 1911 has great natural lines and they can be "broken" for a melt that does not take away from the original beauty of the pistol. Some of the best work I've seen is the post from Traxxis on his work and the work of the gentleman he mentioned earlier in this post...T. Boehler.

Latest posts

Top Bottom