"De-horning" a 1911?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Clark gun is well executed and has a really nice finish on it. But I'm with Traxxis, it does look like a wet turd. Shoot Summ's gun looks OK even though it is a pretty radical melt too. The 1911 has great natural lines and they can be "broken" for a melt that does not take away from the original beauty of the pistol. Some of the best work I've seen is the post from Traxxis on his work and the work of the gentleman he mentioned earlier in this post...T. Boehler.

Taking away from the beauty? Oh the horror.....wouldn't want function to get in the way. :D

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
An extreme melt like that does nothing more for "function" than a light melt will.

I'd say those 1911s would carry even better than most "carry bevels" I've seen, rather probably even more comfy. Point is that "beauty" may be of a lesser priority to some OR just in the eye of the beholder. Seems lotsa guys out there in the custom 1911 world like it, look at all of Chuck Rogers' guns nowdays.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is my "wet turd"... :)

i576.photobucket.com_albums_ss208_havsummfun_GATS_DSC02675.jpg

Did Clark do this or SACS or??

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did Clark do this or SACS or??

I did it...

As others have stated, this gun was almost razor sharp when I got it. And I hated the polished flats so I went to work, mostly with a bench mounted flex shaft machine I have left from my days of porting 2 stroke cylinders. I spent hours blending and contouring, making sure everything flowed nicely, even down to narrowing the rear site so it would blend into the slide. Some may like it, others may not, I like it and for me that is all that matters.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did it...

As others have stated, this gun was almost razor sharp when I got it. And I hated the polished flats so I went to work, mostly with a bench mounted flex shaft machine I have left from my days of porting 2 stroke cylinders. I spent hours blending and contouring, making sure everything flowed nicely, even down to narrowing the rear site so it would blend into the slide. Some may like it, others may not, I like it and for me that is all that matters.

Helluva job, looks great.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Some gun people look for function into a small box they call aesthetics.
I think you should look into the even smaller box called function, and look for aesthetics; hard to find sometimes, but its there.

M

Mustang Armory, LLC

Speaking of form and function, those sharp edges are good for ripping and tearing flesh when you run out of ammo and have to bash the bad guy's face all over the place. The corners do tend to wear on my leather. d'oh. darned pros and cons..

farpoint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The blue on the Clark looks deep enough to go for a swim. Beautiful. I've a series '80 enhanced commander that I plan on doing under the watchful eye of my gunsmith buddy.I onced owed a Kimber Pro Elite that had the meltdown for the factory. Miss that one......

Latest posts

Top Bottom