Deer hunting help....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I generally don't gut mine either. I killed a doe last season on opening day about 3:30PM. dragged her to the truck, laid her on her stomach and butchered her out. Got both shoulders, both hams, and the tenderloins. Put them in the cooler on ice and headed home. Got home and sliced the tenderloin, wrapped it in bacon put it in a pan with onions and potatoes and baked it up. Yummy. She was in my stomach within 4 hrs of being killed. Now that's fresh!

You don't take the back strap?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have gotten some good advice on where to go but truthfully, I don't feel comfortable rolling out somewhere and just figuring it out.

I've already posted in this thread, but coming up my driveway tonight after work I spotted a couple of does eating persimmons.
They are already dropping from the trees.
More advice: Learn to identify natural food sources. Oak trees and persimmon groves are magnets for deer. When the acorns are dropping, they will rarely give a look at a corn feeder. Try to find the natural food if there is no agriculture near by.
If your in an area like mine, there are no oak or persimmon trees, so we hunt agriculture.
If your going to hunt public ground, and there is farming in the area, walk it out and see where the deer are moving. Go early and stay late to watch their movements if possible.
Public ground is hard to hunt as there are a lot of folks out there like you, are new, and don't have the patience to sit and wait them out.
Public ground, go early hunt deep, and leave late. You will be more successful than most.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good way to get started deer hunting is to try and get a bonus hunt by drawing a tag. That is how I got my first deer.

I shot a 216lb nine point at Canto Lake.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Geez man I think that thing still has some spots on her...

Actually bro, it was a button buck that I shot as a doe from about 35 yards. Yep, I'm admitting I made a mistake, oh the agony. We were just discussing guys like you on a previous thread, the ones that their momma never taught the old saying "if you aint got nothing nice to say, then don't say nothing at all". Lol...

Latest posts

Top Bottom